Thread: WUSB54GC rt73 weird signal strength

Default WUSB54GC rt73 weird signal strength

Hello, fellows.

I've recently got myself a new USB WUSB54GC wireless card to do some RF monitoring. I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop and I installed the rt73 driver. The kernel module "rt73-k2wrlz-2.0.1" was compiled from source and installed while I blacklisted some other drivers (rt2500 and 2 more, can't remember which). The card seems to work fine under these settings. It requires manual activation to put it into rfmon mode and it comes up as rausb0. Injection also seems to work (tested with aireplay-ng and it reported success). The only thing that bothers me is the way airodump displays signal strength. When started, I find it ranging from 96 to 109 for all access points and after a while they all change to -1. Any ideas how to fix this?

When I tested this USB card in windows, the signal strength was reported properly in the wireless network connection window.
    I recall an Atheros PCMCIA card I tested on my friends laptop reported signal strength in airodump ranging from 0 to 100 (worst to best).

Just burned his ISO

Maybe try another version of airodump-ng and those programs? I guess its a driver problem..

Here is someone that got the same card worked: forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=6726

Maybe that should you give a hint in the right direction, and use google instead.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by xCPPx View Post
    Hello, fellows.

I've recently got myself a new USB WUSB54GC wireless card to do some RF monitoring. I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop and I installed the rt73 driver. The kernel module "rt73-k2wrlz-2.0.1" was compiled from source and installed while I blacklisted some other drivers (rt2500 and 2 more, can't remember which). The card seems to work fine under these settings. It requires manual activation to put it into rfmon mode and it comes up as rausb0. Injection also seems to work (tested with aireplay-ng and it reported success). The only thing that bothers me is the way airodump displays signal strength. When started, I find it ranging from 96 to 109 for all access points and after a while they all change to -1. Any ideas how to fix this?

When I tested this USB card in windows, the signal strength was reported properly in the wireless network connection window.
    I recall an Atheros PCMCIA card I tested on my friends laptop reported signal strength in airodump ranging from 0 to 100 (worst to best).
    This is a backtrack support form. The aircrack support forum is here

Ah, I see. I was using the BT2 version.
    The latest version of aircrack fixed it.