Thread: truecrypt

dlink

Default truecrypt

I've installed truecrypt on BT2 final. The program runs useing this commands truecrypt -i, but near the end it says no kernel module loaded.
    I looked around the harddrive and find linux 2.6.20 and in there is kernel folder with a makefile, but when i run it it comes up with errors.
    The question is, is the kernel loaded or just copyed on the hardrive to get some programs to run, and if how can i comiple it.

Thanks in advance

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by dlink View Post
    I've installed truecrypt on BT2 final. The program runs useing this commands truecrypt -i, but near the end it says no kernel module loaded.
    I looked around the harddrive and find linux 2.6.20 and in there is kernel folder with a makefile, but when i run it it comes up with errors.
    The question is, is the kernel loaded or just copyed on the hardrive to get some programs to run, and if how can i comiple it.

Thanks in advance
    I'm not sure but it sounds like in order to use that software you must rebuild the kernel with a patch or module.

dlink

Does BT2 allow you to rebuild the kernel that is allready on there, as I only have dial-up and a 50mb file will take 5 hours.
    I read web site on compileing the kernel, but it mentioned a ./configure file, but i can't find one in /usr/src/linux 2.6.20/kernel , it only has a makefile, which as errors.

Developer

yes you can recompile the kernel that is already there.

A SLAX module is probably the easier choice:
    http://slax.hosting4p.com/modules.ph...ch&q=truecrypt
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

dlink

purhate, how would i go about compileing the kernel.
    thorin, I got truecrypt to run, but it doesn't find the kernel module.

Developer

well your have to come up with a kernel patch or something otherwise its not going to do you any good. Some chioce search terms would be truecrypt + slackware + 2.6.20.(whatever kernel it is I forgot) and see what you come up with. I can help you rebuild the kernel but chances are it needs a patch.