Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT2 install problem

Default BT2 install problem

I installed BT2 to my 20gig portable hd and it runs through all the bs untill i get this

RAMDISK: Couldnt find valid RAM disk image starting at0
    VFS:cannot open root device "841" or unknown-block(8,65)
    please append a correct "root=" boot option
    kernel panic - not syncing :VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-blcok(8,65)
    Ideas?

ive tried over and over again, i still really dont know, any help would be amazing

I have done it multiple times following the directions

here on the wiki

and

from the PDF

the only directions i ever found useful were provided in the form of a movie on the offensive-security webiste. The link to the movie appears to be dead......someone did a transcript, which while not as clear as the movie may still be helpful if you have some knowledge of the command line .

http://backtrack.offensive-security....cript_of_movie

don't forget to substitute your particular values for the ones provided , for example it may not be hda for your harddrive but sda or sdb or hdb etc...., so like i said if you have no command line experience then either get some or go home and cry in your milk
    I like to think but the promise of easy answers is hard to pass up
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You know your a geek when binary jokes make you giggle

Quote Originally Posted by circuithead64 View Post
    the only directions i ever found useful were provided in the form of a movie on the offensive-security webiste. The link to the movie appears to be dead......someone did a transcript, which while not as clear as the movie may still be helpful if you have some knowledge of the command line .

http://backtrack.offensive-security....cript_of_movie

don't forget to substitute your particular values for the ones provided , for example it may not be hda for your harddrive but sda or sdb or hdb etc...., so like i said if you have no command line experience then either get some or go home and cry in your milk
    ill try following that transcript to get it to wrok on my portable drive, thanks for the linkage, if anyone else has ideas feal free

i h

Well, i tried following those steps, and i get the same error, might it have something to do with my portable hard drive?

what is the device id of your , presumably usb, poratble drive......does your computer support booting from external devices like a thumb drive?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ya, it supports boot but i still go back to this

RAMDISK: Couldnt find valid RAM disk image starting at0
    VFS:cannot open root device "841" or unknown-block(8,65)
    please append a correct "root=" boot option
    kernel panic - not syncing :VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-blcok(8,65)
    no idea what that means

Just burned his ISO

your booting your kernel which is getting dropped into memory, but when it switches over to the filesystem it can't find it.

sooo . . .

when the prompt comes up try `bt root=/dev/sda1`
    which should be the first drive, but if you have a SATA drive it will be first so try 'bt /dev/sdb1`

it follows this method /dev/(drive)(partition)

so you can go through combos, but if it is the default install it is partition 1 unless you put the swap there.

the only other problem is that your drive has to be supported by the kernel.

btw, if the internal drive is an IDE drive they use the /dev/hd{a,b,c}

zac

Quote Originally Posted by drivintin View Post
    your booting your kernel which is getting dropped into memory, but when it switches over to the filesystem it can't find it.

sooo . . .

when the prompt comes up try `bt root=/dev/sda1`
    which should be the first drive, but if you have a SATA drive it will be first so try 'bt /dev/sdb1`

it follows this method /dev/(drive)(partition)

so you can go through combos, but if it is the default install it is partition 1 unless you put the swap there.

the only other problem is that your drive has to be supported by the kernel.

btw, if the internal drive is an IDE drive they use the /dev/hd{a,b,c}

zac
    Sounds just about right....it says : please append a correct "root="boot option or something like that..........the root partition and the boot partition are not necessarily the same.......... remember the layout of your filesystem.....think man!!! i also had trouble installing first time and guess what?? i found all my answers with google and some knuckle grease.......it is very satisfying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast