Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BT2 and Police

Just burned his ISO

Default BT2 and Police

Sorry guys but I really did not know what title this topic should have

How posible it is to find out that I used BT2 on my laptop. Can police or someone eals do that. How does it work ??

Note: I have removed wifi card so there is no MAC address No CD at home and orginal Win2k

Ta

Why? What exactly are you worried about?
    It depends really....
    What sort of thing have you been doing?

Just burned his ISO

No I am just interesting in case

Lets say I do wardriving from my house to local WIFIs.

Can they (Police) track my signal or get into my house and find some logs or anything that I used BT3 (logs etc..)

Just burned his ISO

Having done network security on Windows, I can tell you a couple things. The fact that your asking this question means that you probably weren't working above the table, or were cracking for your own purposes. Now, besides this being illegal, it's also stupid. If you didn't install Back|Track on your computer, there will still be data left on your computer from what Back|Track loads on the Hard Disk (Maybe, I can't remember if Back|Track2 loads scratch data to disk or if you have to use a startup parameter).

Now, you can just delete the data, or Back|Track might do it automatically, but just deleting the data won't help. The FBI, and most computer forensics experts, can recover data that has been over-written up to 20 times (Department of Defense Standard).

But, if you weren't doing anything illegal, you won't have to worry about the FBI, right?
    (Hint: Stop doing anything illegal. I've been there, done that, got the letter, it's not a fun way to go. If you really want to break into networks, get a certification and go into Network Security testing, you break into networks, get paid, and don't have to worry about it.)

Just burned his ISO

Guys guys the only think I wonted to know was if BT2 leave any data on my laptop.

I did not crack or hack any server (s) just was wandering how can they find out that I used BT2 that is it

No FBI, CIA, KGB GOOD ONE Reformat

SO you saying that If I have Original Windows Visa or XP and boot BT2 some date will stay on my HDD.

OK so has anyone know where is it and what if I do not have or use HDD and just boot CD directly What then ??

Quote Originally Posted by pi4r0n View Post
    Can they (Police) track my signal or get into my house and find some logs or anything that I used BT3 (logs etc..)
    I did not crack or hack any server (s) just was wandering how can they find out that I used BT3 that is it
    So how come you are using BT3 when it hasn't been publicly released yet, and is still in development.

Guys guys the only think I wonted to know was if BT2 leave any data on my laptop.
    Depends how you install it and use it.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

About 10 or so years ago, I saw a live demonstration of some hardware that was able to recover data from a stick of ram. They created a text file and an image file on the computer then shut it down quite normally. Then the stick of ram was removed from the machine and plugged into an "adapter" connected to another pc, which was then able to recover both the text file and the image in a matter of a couple of minutes. They then performed a similar process on another stick of ram from a different pc that had not been used that day and was able to show that data still existed on it. Needless to say, everyone was both gobsmacked and and more than a little worried about what they had just seen.

Never heard anything about it since, but you can be sure that the technology didn't just disappear.

Just burned his ISO

THX all

SO summarized whatever we do on PC / Laptops even if we boot from CD we still can be in danger of be capture by someone

Next time I will do something inligal I will throw my laptop away (BEST OPTION) no evidence but bit expensive ))))))

Thx once again for tips

Many Governments publish (publically) documents which outline the requirements for destruction of various types of electronic data storage devices. If they're good enough for the Gov't (and realted intelligence/defense departments) then they're probably good enough for you. Though you'd have to determine the level of resources an attacker (or the police/FBI in this case) are going to put into recoverying your data vs the cost, then consider the cost to you to achieve the necessary level of destruction.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast