Thread: Pls have support for booting and installing from external firewire/usb cdrom drive.

Default Pls have support for booting and installing from external firewire/usb cdrom drive.

as above since some small laptops do not have a cdrom drive internally.

That would be a limitation of your laptop, and not BT.
    It is your pc and it's bios that determines whether you can boot from external drives.

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    That would be a limitation of your laptop, and not BT.
    It is your pc and it's bios that determines whether you can boot from external drives.
    I can boot from external drives just that I need to copy my BT folder to my / directory(and if that's not enough evidence, I have installed slackware, gentoo and kubuntu using the external firewire drive), and after booting into bt2 if I would like to install bt to my hdd then where should I put the source path?

Why are you asking the same question in two different threads??
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

actually this thread is a request for feature in the new bt3 and since people who visit this thread might know something, I thought I might as well ask it here too. I apologise if it seems like I'm posting a repeated thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    actually this thread is a request for feature in the new bt3 and since people who visit this thread might know something, I thought I might as well ask it here too. I apologise if it seems like I'm posting a repeated thread.
    Well like BP said, it's up to your bios, not the distro whether you can boot external usb/firewire drives.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Actually, there is an issue with booting BT from a firewire cd-drive.
    e.g.
    The BIOS supports it, you can boot fine from cd's, but BT will lose the root fs during boot on a f/w device.
    You need to copy the BT folder to the root of your hdd then during boot it switches to there.
    Like a kickstart boot.

This presents problems if you go on to install BT to hdd having booted in this way.

I expect there's a cheatcode for slax f/w booting nowadays.....

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    Actually, there is an issue with booting BT from a firewire cd-drive.
    e.g.
    The BIOS supports it, you can boot fine from cd's, but BT will lose the root fs during boot on a f/w device.
    You need to copy the BT folder to the root of your hdd then during boot it switches to there.
    Like a kickstart boot.

This presents problems if you go on to install BT to hdd having booted in this way.

I expect there's a cheatcode for slax f/w booting nowadays.....

Ahh, I did not know that.