Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Pls have support for booting and installing from external firewire/usb cdrom drive.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    28

    Default Pls have support for booting and installing from external firewire/usb cdrom drive.

    as above since some small laptops do not have a cdrom drive internally.

  2. #2
    Developer balding_parrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,399

    Default

    That would be a limitation of your laptop, and not BT.
    It is your pc and it's bios that determines whether you can boot from external drives.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    That would be a limitation of your laptop, and not BT.
    It is your pc and it's bios that determines whether you can boot from external drives.
    I can boot from external drives just that I need to copy my BT folder to my / directory(and if that's not enough evidence, I have installed slackware, gentoo and kubuntu using the external firewire drive), and after booting into bt2 if I would like to install bt to my hdd then where should I put the source path?

  4. #4
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default

    Why are you asking the same question in two different threads??
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    28

    Default

    actually this thread is a request for feature in the new bt3 and since people who visit this thread might know something, I thought I might as well ask it here too. I apologise if it seems like I'm posting a repeated thread.

  6. #6
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    actually this thread is a request for feature in the new bt3 and since people who visit this thread might know something, I thought I might as well ask it here too. I apologise if it seems like I'm posting a repeated thread.
    Well like BP said, it's up to your bios, not the distro whether you can boot external usb/firewire drives.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Actually, there is an issue with booting BT from a firewire cd-drive.
    e.g.
    The BIOS supports it, you can boot fine from cd's, but BT will lose the root fs during boot on a f/w device.
    You need to copy the BT folder to the root of your hdd then during boot it switches to there.
    Like a kickstart boot.

    This presents problems if you go on to install BT to hdd having booted in this way.

    I expect there's a cheatcode for slax f/w booting nowadays.....

  8. #8
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    Actually, there is an issue with booting BT from a firewire cd-drive.
    e.g.
    The BIOS supports it, you can boot fine from cd's, but BT will lose the root fs during boot on a f/w device.
    You need to copy the BT folder to the root of your hdd then during boot it switches to there.
    Like a kickstart boot.

    This presents problems if you go on to install BT to hdd having booted in this way.

    I expect there's a cheatcode for slax f/w booting nowadays.....

    Ahh, I did not know that.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •