Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BT Installer not writing to MBR - read ALL forum notes

Thanks -- regarding the intermitancy of eth0 ... I don't think it's the drivers. It seems to happen after I install the latest build of MadWifi. But I'm not sure. Still investigating.

Developer

Alright lets start from the top because I think you are a little confused. What is the make and model of you machine? I thought you said toshiba but that may have been some one else. In my experiance ( well 3 computers ) linux install great and every thing will work except sound with no extra parameters. I dont think you should have to install any thing extra. which brings us to the next point- the madwifi drivers has zip to do with your eth0 or eth1 interfaces. They are only for atheros chipset based cards and if you are not using one there is no need to up grade the drivers. Like I originally said If i were you i would start all the way over from square one and let me help you. its the only way to know if you are actually using the correct commands or if you are taking shortcuts.

Okay, thanks for the help. I just re-installled BT2 onto the hda2 partition and have not yet started tweaking. Perhaps I should clear out the logs and restart to look at any odd things or perhaps I can send them along to you to peruse. Where would you have me start to determine the cause of my interitancy with the eth0 card?

Forgot to mention I'm using a Toshiba portege laptop. It has a Marvel Yukon Gigabit Ethernet Controller for the wired access and an Atheros-based wifi card for the wireless. There *is* a driver at Marvel for Linux. Should I install it?

Also, I'd like to update Kismet and aircrack-ng.

Okay, upon shutting down I see these error messages before going back to the bash prompt:

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
    Major opcode: 19
    Minor opcode: 0
    Resource id: 0x2400007

Major opcode: 20
    Resource id: 0x10025f

Major opcode: 19
    Resource id: 0x10025f

Major opcode: 20
    Resource id: 0x2200007

this repeats about three more times, then I'm back to the bash prompt before shutdown.

I just restarted my fresh install of BT2 and on the second boot up it did not automatically see eth0. This seems to coincide with the mouse not working, I'm discovering.

Also after installing Microsoft fonts, see the following error upon shutdown also:

Coult not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID, removing from list!
    xset: bad font path element (#76), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    incorrect font server address syntax
    No composite extension

Developer

So does the wifi card work with the madwifi drivers that came with backtrack? I would not do any tweaking until you have the basic components running. Updating whatever is easy and should be saved until the end.

Are you using a install method off the wiki or where? The install method could be important.

Wifi card works without any updating, but I'd like the features of new kismet and aircrack-ng. Did you see my previous post with the error messages upon shutdown.

Eth0 is still not detectable. ifconfig eth0 up with dhcpcd does nothing. modprobe e100 or modprobe e1000 doesn't help.

Developer

what is the make and model of your ethernet controller

Okay the error is normal. Also QUIT trying to install any xtra stuff until you get the base going. what i mean is you didn't restart a fresh install if you added some stuff.

Marvel Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E gigabit ethernet controller built into the laptop.

the ONLY thing I installed were microsoft fonts so I could read the screen. That's all, I swear.

Developer

I have some work to do but I shall be back later. I will research your problem. Maybe some one else has a idea?

Developer

Can you post the out put of

bt~#lspci -v

Not the whole thing but the section on you ethernet adapter.

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
    Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Marvell 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Toshiba)
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
    Memory at cfefc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    I/O ports at be00 [size=256]
    Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [50] Vital Product Data
    Capabilities: [5c] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/1 Enable-
    Capabilities: [e0] Express Legacy Endpoint IRQ 0

02:05.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Askey Computer Corp. Unknown device 7088
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 11
    Memory at cfdf0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast