Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BT Installer not writing to MBR - read ALL forum notes

Thanks for your help. Everything seems to be working now. Only quirk is upon reboot I always see a lot messages like this:

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
    Major opcode: 20
    Minor opcode: 0
    Resource id: 0x1a00876

stuff like that repeats about 5 times.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by bulgin View Post
    Thanks for your help. Everything seems to be working now. Only quirk is upon reboot I always see a lot messages like this:

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
    Major opcode: 20
    Minor opcode: 0
    Resource id: 0x1a00876

stuff like that repeats about 5 times.
    Before you run startx try to run a xconfig to get your xorg.conf file all squared away.

I take everything back -- boot into BT2 fine but never any network connectivity even after trying modprobe e100, ifconfig eth0 up, dhcpcd eth0

I don't know -- I think I'm going to give up on BT. It was working fine and now nothing but headaches for two full days!

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by bulgin View Post
    I take everything back -- boot into BT2 fine but never any network connectivity even after trying modprobe e100, ifconfig eth0 up, dhcpcd eth0

I don't know -- I think I'm going to give up on BT. It was working fine and now nothing but headaches for two full days!
    let me see the error messages your getting.

hi purehate -- I'm trying to see if this is a windows or linux issue. I have no network issues with eth0 in windows, but three installs -- CD, key and another key with BT2, all have problems with eth0. Sometimes BT has connectivity via eth0 and other times not. There are no error messages for the connectivity issue -- just after booting sometimes eth0 is automatically up and other times it's not up. It's weird. Maybe has something to do with shutting down. But I shutdown with "reboot" or poweroff.

I'm re-mastering the CD now -- maybe it was a bad burn.

Developer

Thats a good Idea. What install method are you using by the way?

I installed on Toshiba laptop using BT installer. Then I installed on 4 gb key drive using BaldParrot's tutorial. Both from the same CD. In both cases I have intermittent eth0 connectivity. I'm downloading a new burn now otherwise I'd test the CD drive which contains the original CD with an M5 hash.

Developer

Let us know how you get on so we can try to help.

thanks.

Okay, so far what I did was install the Marvel Yukon drivers for the gigabit pci controller in my laptop. The installation process said the current drivers were not supported for my card, so hopefully these new drivers will solve the intermitancy issue. We'll see. I'm monitoring it now.

And will report back. Thanks for all your help. By the way, the modules that I find at the modules repository ending in .mo --- how are they installed to work in BK? For example, if I want to install pdfedit.mo do I just download and that's it? I'm sure there's something else I must do. But the documentation at the SLAX modules repository says to install in modules directory which I don't have and presume I must make, correct?

Thanks,

Developer

to install a module in backtrack.(example)

download filename .mo to root directory

bt~#mo2lzm filename.mo filename.lzm

bt~#lzm2dir filename.lzm /

After that you should be good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast