Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Friday

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    Apparently this article says today is black Friday and people better watch out. Because of the long weekend evil hackers have nothing better to do than try to hack you. I'm not sure I'd be worried but there it is.
    So i've been running my snort IDS for a good 7 months now. Snort classifies attacks on a scale of 1 to 3; 1 is the highest, 3 is the lowest.

I usually average a couple priority 3 or one priority 2 alert per week or so.

This week, my sensor has detected 70 priority 1 alerts, mostly webserver scans/attacks, all originating from china/far east.

From my understanding, hackers choose this time of year to try to attack machines because many admins take off for the christmas holidays, particularly in Europe and in North America.

So for all my network/server admins out there...before you go on vaction...make sure all your machines are locked down/patched...or you might get something worse than fruitcake for chistmas...

Just burned his ISO

Haha, I saw Barry use the term "Combat Shopping" and I immediately wondered if he lived in Alaska. The rest of the discussion combined with the 125 miles south of the arctic circle makes me think that's probably accurate....

Quote Originally Posted by Iomos View Post
    Haha, I saw Barry use the term "Combat Shopping" and I immediately wondered if he lived in Alaska. The rest of the discussion combined with the 125 miles south of the arctic circle makes me think that's probably accurate....
    I take it you've heard of "Combat Fishing" then. In Fairbanks by the way.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I take it you've heard of "Combat Fishing" then. In Fairbanks by the way.

I may be a dumb Kentucky boy but is this Combat Fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post

I may be a dumb Kentucky boy but is this Combat Fishing?
    That looks about right. You get a couple hundred mostly drunk fishermen on 100 feet of river. Then you get one terrorist, I mean tourist, on the other shore casting across every one else's line. It's beautiful! I watched one dumb ass get his boat shot out from under him one year for doing that.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12