Thread: wlan0 error?

Default wlan0 error?

Originally, I was unable to connect to the internet at all, but I've worked through this problem a bit on my own. When I was first unable to connect to the internet, the output of ifconfig wlan0 was

root@bt:/etc/resolvconf/run/interface# ifconfig wlan0
    wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1f:3c:48:08:86
    inet addr:216.171.58.124 Bcast:216.171.59.255 Mask:255.255.252.0
    inet6 addr: fec0::b:21f:3cff:fe48:886/64 Scope:Site
    inet6 addr: 2002:44b4:14ef:b:21f:3cff:fe48:886/64 Scope:Global
    inet6 addr: fe80::21f:3cff:fe48:886/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:5113 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:483 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:838013 (838.0 KB) TX bytes:43790 (43.7 KB)

which obviously seems strange because I have 3 ipv6 addresses. The first time I noticed the error, I actually had 6 or 7. I tried restarting the network, which didnt help. I also tried restarting my entire system, which also didnt help. I noticed an error during boot that said in red

Code:
    /etc/rcS.d/s07resolvconf: line50: /etc/resolvconf/run/enableupdates: read only file system
    failed (could not enable updates)
    I tried to copy that down on a piece of paper as it flew by on boot, so if there appears to be a spelling mistake in there, it's probably my fault. I finally was able to resolve this problem by going to /etc/resolvconf/run/interface and deleting wlan0.txt. I got this idea, because I saw another error go by during boot that said something along the lines of being unable to remove that file. After another reboot, I was able to connect to the internet normally.

So now I can remove that file manually after boot, then reboot, and I can connect wirelessly. This is not ideal. I dont recall modifying my system in any way before this problem occurred. Any idea whats wrong? If you need the exact boot errors I'm receiving, please let me know the location of the boot logs. Thanks

I

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: wlan0 error?

If that doesn't work then run wicd as root in terminal (this will start the service) and then launch wicd from the menu.

Just burned his ISO PunksUndead's Avatar

ok... why are you trying to write this stuff down during boot up? Not sure about your pc but that stuff goes by way too fast on my laptop.
    in Konsole, try typing dmesg or if you want just from wlan0 type dmesg | grep wlan0
    looking through there would give you an idea what is having the issue.

without knowing too much info like if you use static IP or not, maybe try flushing DNS /etc/rc.d/init.d/nscd restart then do an ifwlan0 down/up or maybe run dhclient

alternatively, you could try making resolv.conf immutable by typing chmod -w-w-w /etc/resolv.conf

Thanks. I'm more or less familiar with the basics of starting networking. I did take a look at that page though to see if I could gain any additional information. I've been able to connect to the internet, with no problems in the past. If i want to connect to the internet now, I have to remove /etc/resolvconf/run/interfaces/wlan0.txt and reboot.

That file contains

Code:
    domain client.pavlovmedia.net
    nameserver 216.171.56.6
    nameserver 76.10.24.20
    nameserver 66.253.230.60
    During boot, an error says it is unable to remove this file. I've never seen this error in the past, and I've always been able to connect to the internet. Typically my solution to something like this would be to just reinstall bt4 since its so easy, but I'm trying to work through the problem this time.

I want to apologize for double posting, but I have to wait for a mod to approve my last post before I can edit it.

I just wanted to site several other places that this problem has been reported. No one seems to have found a definitive solution, but several people have noted installing a vnc package prior to this. This now includes me, as i realized that I installed vpnc prior to this error occurring. Here are several links to other people reporting this problem, on other linux distros

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...nf/+bug/264165

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/250189

Perhaps this should be considered a bug as it was never officially solved. After researching for a while, this bug has been identified on multiple other linux distros and results from the filesystem being read only at the beginning of the boot process for whatever reason.

No one has ever completely identified the cause of this, but a simple solution that has been used by many people is to simply move S07resolvconf to S39resolvconf in /etc/rcS.d. This starts resolvconf later in the boot process and appears to have no side effects. It worked for me and many others on other linux distros.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 02-04-2010 at 06:17 PM.