Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BT2 and Police

linuxbeast

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    ive nothing to prove to anybody but ive personaly recover datas formatted and even rewritten more than 10 times ..........

IT's POSSIBLE .......

and for the memory stick ....... just check that story
    BS. You speak of lies.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

Angry me a lier ?

what bullshit ???

.......how can you say that ?

i take this as an insult !

i don't see the interest to lie on a forum where im involved in.......

i never say ive recovered perfect datas after 10 time formating but i personnaly format some drives only in order to investigate this area of knowledge and many time recover some partial usable datas....... but you may know better than me what were my results........

i really don't care if anybody else here think im a lier .....
    i KNOW that it is POSSIBLE......IVE DONE IT YET .......

believe me or not ......
    that's not my problem.....

Ridiculous
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by linuxbeast View Post
    BS. You speak of lies.
    So you speak of documented irrefutable proof that it is *not* possible?

I certainly hope so, before you spout off calling people liars.........

But then, maybe you have somewhere else you'd rather be anyway??

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

yes.... but HE knows it's not possible........

without physical destruction of the inside plates ...... with acid or explosives .... it's still possible.....under the limit of the well known 35 wipe pass process....
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by linuxbeast View Post
    BS. You speak of lies.
    I've been following this thread and I'm still waiting for the proof from your end that its impossible. If your going to call my french friend a liar you better be able to back it up.

I dont understand how it is physically possible to recover data?

example:

1 GB HDD - you fill it with data
    -you do a normal high-level format.
    -you can then fill it again with data.

how can it be physically possible to recover the data written prior to the format when you are able to re-write the same amount of data?

obviously it is possible to recover, but it I dont understand how you can re-use the capacity of the disk but the old data still remains?

Quote Originally Posted by bruk0ut View Post
    I dont understand how it is physically possible to recover data?

example:

1 GB HDD - you fill it with data
    -you do a normal high-level format.
    -you can then fill it again with data.

how can it be physically possible to recover the data written prior to the format when you are able to re-write the same amount of data?

obviously it is possible to recover, but it I dont understand how you can re-use the capacity of the disk but the old data still remains?
    Writing data to the HD is intended to flip the magnetic domains of the storage bits (usually all one way [0], all the other way [1], and then in a verifiable pattern....this is a standard 3 pass overwrite). Formatting the drive (especially high level) accomplishes basically zilch. You delete the file allocation table so that to the user the drive appears empty, you haven't actually removed any file data. Read/write heads in even modern hard drives have a margin of error forensic analysts can work within. That is to say, although you've rewritten the drives (even multiple times) there are can be previous data (magnetic domains) in track edge space on the physical platter.

If you need more specifics check wikipedia, google etc....

Of course bruk0ut & linuxbeast you're welcome to think whatever you want. Some of us deal with these topics daily, you can trust that we know what we're talking about or not, it won't be our data that you put at risk.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    I have no intention of arguing over this, but as I said, it was a live demonstration. Perhaps I should have made it clearer that the contents of the text file and the image was decided not by them, but by the people there. Also I said that there was a second stick of ram from the second computer which they had no contact with beforehand. They were still able to show data on it that they would have had no way of knowing what it would have been before the recovery. One of the files in question was an ISIS schematic diagram, I cannot remember the other as it was far less impressive.

So there is no way it could have been a farce.
    I would say this is possible. Probably the way it works, and I have no citations in reference to this, just general knowledge of how the stuff works, is that when the machine is shut down, the RAM probably still has it's last data stored in it. That data is probably only deleted over time (whatever the RC time constant is on the RAM) or when the machine boots up normally and the BIOS wipes the RAM for a clean boot.

If the RAM were pulled out within the RC Time Constant timeframe, then it could effectively be read through a specially designed device. I would think that if they were to wait at least 3 hours, chances are, they wouldn't be able to recover anything off of a stick of RAM.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Ok
    I work for the Navy, we take our data security seriously [despite what the press says ] and if we have the need to change a HDD due to hardware fault - or an upgrade then the HDD is destroyed - in many bits - and its bloody good fun doing it.

We also do data recovery on some of our systems and i have witnessed several old txt documents recovered from a HDD that was well knackered - the files were deleted nearly 4 years ago and still they were recoverable off the drive [ the drive had been formatted at least 3 times as the format was conducted prior to an OS install ]

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by mummysboy View Post
    Ok
    I work for the Navy, we take our data security seriously [despite what the press says ] and if we have the need to change a HDD due to hardware fault - or an upgrade then the HDD is destroyed - in many bits - and its bloody good fun doing it.

We also do data recovery on some of our systems and i have witnessed several old txt documents recovered from a HDD that was well knackered - the files were deleted nearly 4 years ago and still they were recoverable off the drive [ the drive had been formatted at least 3 times as the format was conducted prior to an OS install ]
    This is also an adequate way to destroy a drive.

http://members.netjunkies.net/streaker/Videos/vice.wmv
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast