Thread: Setting up my own home Lab.

Just burned his ISO

Default Setting up my own home Lab.

Well, as my subject states - I am looking to set up my own home lab to do some pentesting/general exploration. My problem exists with hardware, and the only solution I can come up with would be a virtual network amongst my two boxes. Then arises the question, can my boxes handle numerous virtual machines? The two set ups are as follows:

SYS1:
    Celeron 2.5Ghz
    512MB Ram
    Onboard Video (Generic Intel)
    120GB Hard Drive
    Running LAMP (Mandrake ATM) - Switching it to BT2.

SYS2:
    P4 2.8Ghz
    768MB Ram
    Onboard Video
    80GB Hard Drive
    Currently running XP (I had it set up with an Original XP disc from like 2001, no updates done on it and watched it get probed and attacked and sniffed all the packets..it was great fun) but I will probably turn this into an Ubuntu LAMP server.

SYS3:
    AMD64 3500+
    1GB Ram
    100GB Hard
    These are just two old systems I've come into and can use for my aforementioned test lab. I plan on using VMware Server and perhaps running another 2 linux distros on SYS1, and leaving SYS2 as just the server. Then, I can attack away and such on my network.

So ultimately my question being, if you had such a set up (hardware to work with), how would you set up your lab?

Any suggestions would be much appriciated - oh and by the way, I am new here and I've browswed around quite a bit and seem to be enjoying the community so far.

Do not double post

Just burned his ISO

Default Well.

If you would take a look at the content, one has slightly more than the other - it was submitted on accident.

But, of course, you can assume I doubled posted on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by EC_44 View Post
    If you would take a look at the content, one has slightly more than the other - it was submitted on accident.

But, of course, you can assume I doubled posted on purpose.
    I didn't assume anything at all, the posts were both there until one was deleted by me.

In the future, rather than making another thread, just edit your original with the extra information.

Your main limiting factor is going to be ram followed by processor speed.

1) Why do you need more than 3 systems?
    2) Yes you can virtualize multiple systems on a single hardware platform. (That's one of the major benefits).
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    1) Why do you need more than 3 systems?
    2) Yes you can virtualize multiple systems on a single hardware platform. (That's one of the major benefits).
    Just stuff it with as much ram as you can afford.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Sys 1 will hold no more than 2 VM. (I had a set up that was a Celeron 2.6 with 512 and it barely was able to hold 1 while running a few apps).

Sys 2 should hold quite a few. I'm guessing four or so.

Sys 3 I cannot say because I have never personally owned an AMD.

And like Barry said the more RAM the better.