Thread: VAP and ath0 confusion

Hybrid View

Default VAP and ath0 confusion

I have backtrack 2.0 up and working with two wireless cards -- the built-in atheros card a Proxim Gold pc card (also Atheros, I believe?). Both seem to work fine with injection, etc. I'm confused over the VAP stuff, though. Upon booting up ifconfig shows an ath0 interface as well as a wifi0 interface. Running airmon-ng scripts to put it into monitor mode does the job, but now I have what is apparently a Virtual Access Point -- does that mean that people can connect to my laptop? If someone could clear up to me the difference between VAP and the ath0-1 interfaces I would appreciate it. Also, sometimes if I say, ifconfig eth0 down, then naturally I lose cable internet access, but bringing it back up gives me pingable access to my local net but now I cannot see the outside world. Is there another command I must use after ifconfig eth0 up to get me access to the outside world -- the world beyond my local net.

Thanks in advance,

anybody care to reply?

thanks

Developer

To get your eth0 hard line up try
    Code:
    purehate ~ # modprobe e100
    As for the atheros interfaces its probably over your head but No one can connect to your lap top. It is whats called a parent child situation. You must destroy the parent ath0 in order to create a interface capable of monitor mode.

thanks pure hate that helps me -- love your name by the way!

modprobe e100 brings up the network fine *just one time*, but if I subsequently bring down eth0 again, then bring it up again with eth0 up, I lose connectivity to the internet, not intranet. Running modprobe e100 at that time doesn't seem to help. I must reboot to gain internet connectivity. I thought it might be a gateway or dns problem so I also add route and add dns to resolv.conf, but that doesn't seem to help. I'm able to ping local network gateway but cannot get out. Mind you, this only happens the SECOND time I bring down then bring up the eth0 interface. The first time I bring it down then up I have complete connectivity.

I'm wondering what file or command in the startup files gets eth0 going good, because rebooting always solves the problem.

Any help much appreciated.