Thread: Netgear WPN511 and Airodump-ng

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Netgear WPN511 and Airodump-ng

I did some reading/searching in the forums and don't see this exact problem/issue so I'm posting here as this is where I'm allowed to post for now.

I just got a Netgear WPN511 PCMCIA Adapter and tried using it with Airodump-ng on the BT2 Live CD.

BT2 finds the card and I can start capturing with airodump-ng. Everything seems to be working for the first 5 mins.

airmon-ng stop ath0
    airmon-ng start wifi0
    airodump-ng --ivs --write networks ath0

The problem, somewhere between 5 to 15 mins the capture stops and airodump-ng stops showing anything. All the networks I'm seeing starts dis-appearing from the screen. The 2 lights on the card continue to flash. Re-starting airodump-ng does not resolve the issue

The weird part, if I stop/kill the ath0 VAP and re-create it, then re-start airodump-ng, then everything works again.

airmon-ng stop ath0
    airmon-ng start wifi0
    airodump-ng --ivs --write networks ath0

This seems as a driver problem or something. Since the second command just re-creates a new VAP at ath0. I don't have to remove or unplug the card and the lights are on.

I've tried using aircrack-ng-0.9.1 and madwifi-0.9.3.3 in various combinations but get the same result.

Am I missing a step somewhere or do I have a bad WPN511 ??

There are just a few days left for me to return the card so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

There are a few other threads here in the forum about the same problem, for example

h*t*t*p://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9134&highlight=airodump+stops+wor king

h*t*t*p://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8471

And this is from the Kismet site:

PROBLEM: Kismet stops capturing packets with Madwifi
    FIX: Madwifi seems to have a race condition of some sort which is
    exposed while hopping channels. Decreasing the channel hop rate may
    reduce the frequency of the failures, but will not entirely stop the
    channel.

It has been reported that loading the madwifi modules with the module
    parameter "autocreate=none" helps, by not automatically creating the
    initial managed VAP, subsequent creation of the monitor vap doesn't
    exhibit the lockup while channel hopping.

Madwifi-ng development has switched to the Ath5k driver, which may
    perform better.

I have the same problem (have the same card) and there's a little workaround (like I posted in the above mentioned post), but that's all I know. I really don't have a solution for that, but I think it's definitely not your card (yeah, it is the card + the driver, what I mean is that your card isn't bad / damaged).

Chris

Developer

Your answer is in the information you posted. Lock on to one channel.

Just burned his ISO

Post Results of testing today ...

I did some more testing today with various drivers and commands. Nothing seem to work.

Main Laptop
    =========
    hp Compaq nw9440
    ipw3945 - builtin
    wpn511 - pcmcia

Test Laptop
    =========
    Toshiba 320cdt
    wpn511 - pcmcia

I started over from scratch with just the bt2 cd and wpn511, really basic. What I noticed is the wpn511 works perfectly if I start airodump-ng at the root shell , i.e right after logon.

So with these commands after logon as root :-

wlanconfig ath1 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor
    ifconfig ath1 up
    airodump --ivs --write networks ath1

The capture went past the 15 min mark, I stopped it after 1hr. After some more testing, I noticed once I execute the 1st 2 commands above then start KDE I'm able to capture past the 15 min mark.

I get the part about the "channel hoping rate" in those posts. But on my system, the window manager seems to be causing a problem.

to be continued

Just burned his ISO

Question Need a Long Range Card that works with BT2

... continued

I loaded BT2 on to my laptop and tried everything to get this WPN511 to capture/inject packets. It is just too much trouble to get this thing going and when it does work it's for a very a short period of time. So, I put it back into its box .. for sale.

The built-in IPW3945 works for capturing/injection using the raw drivers (ipwraw-ng-2.0.0.tar.gz) and aircrack-ng (aircrack-ng-0.9.1.tar.gz). The downside is the capturing/injection rate is low to average.

Which brings me to this, I need a Long Range Card that works with BT2.

Can someone who is currently using a long range card advise me ?? Must be able to reproduce functionality.

I've already tried the HCL route and that list needs to be updated big time with credible information.

[update] Anybody using the "Alfa 500mW USB Wireless" with BT2 ?? Was it straight forward to get it working ??

" cgi.ebay.com/Alfa-500mW-USB-Wireless-G-B-Adapter-Card-Antenna-Jack_W0QQitemZ290182528349QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 290182528349#ebayphotohosting "