Thread: Hacking Linux Exposed

Default Hacking Linux Exposed

Hey guys, just had a quick question. There was an old book that I read a bit of - Hacking Linux Exposed (2nd edition I think), but I never read the whole thing - ran out of time. Just wondering if you guys have had any experience with this book or any of the others in the series (by McGraw & Hill), and if so, is it worth buying the 3rd edition that comes out in February next year? Thanks

-Stephen

Developer

In my experience all the books in the world can't add up to good old fashioned research however for tools and theory that doesn't change much they can be very informative. If you are working with cutting edge though its usually out dated by the time the book comes out.

Yeah, that's what I thought (with the outdating bit), however, for gaining a more general overview of everything (aside from my research) would you say it was alright? I have done a bit of research and stuff already, but I want to broaden my fields and understanding. I'm quick to pick up things, is this a good place to start?

-Stephen

Developer

Of course. The fundamentals don't change. I guess what I mean is some books advertise cutting edge exploits and vulnerabilities for example when in reality the life expectancy of a zero day exploit is hardly enough time to print a book. One Book I do recommend is the open source penetration testers tool kit(the second edition comes out any day). Another good one is "Grey Hat Hacking"

Yeah, thank you for your advice. I shall keep it in mind

-Stephen

Did anyone read that book they gave out at Blackhat? Worthwhile? It seems short enough, but I haven't opened it up yet...
    Fingerprint.

Just burned his ISO

I wanna to learn linux hacking, so I also interested which book better to read.

Don't learn to hack...........hack to learn..........

i don't know who said but i like it
    I like to think but the promise of easy answers is hard to pass up
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You know your a geek when binary jokes make you giggle