Thread: Awus036H connection to Internet in BT

Just burned his ISO

Default Awus036H connection to Internet in BT

I recently purchased this adapter and was able to get the key from my network and a few others without any problems . The problem I am having afterwards is I cannot get a connection when using the wireless assistant in Backtrack. I have no problems connecting in Windows XP. I have tried putting the adapter in mode managed but I still cannot get a connection. Even with open access points it will not connect.

Am I missing something.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by argpds View Post
    I recently purchased this adapter and was able to get the key from my network and a few others without any problems . The problem I am having afterwards is I cannot get a connection when using the wireless assistant in Backtrack. I have no problems connecting in Windows XP. I have tried putting the adapter in mode managed but I still cannot get a connection. Even with open access points it will not connect.

Am I missing something.
    sometimes it is buggy...Try the command shell like this

bt~#ifconfig <interface> up
    bt~#iwconfig <interface> essid <youressidhere>(note use double quotes for spaces)
    bt~#dhcpcd <interface>

Just burned his ISO

I tried what you suggested but I still cannot get a connection. Even to an open access point it will not connect.Has anybody been able to use the wireless assistant to connect to an access point with the awus036h adapter.

I am booting from a hard drive and Backtrack was updated with the new v5 patch for the alfa, and the latest aircrack 0.9.1.

The adapter is great for attacking but I am amazed that it is so difficult to use in the managed mode. I also have the awus036s adapter and it works great in all modes, just that the range is not as good as the awus036h adapter.

i have the same problems with it

EDIT:

Nobody can help ???

Seek and ye shall find:

"Alpha Network AWUS036H rtl8187 chipset in managed mode"

Don't forget though, just because the Alpha can associate with a wep encrypted access point it doesn't mean dhcp will work. It depends greatly on the signal strength combined with signal quality for dhcp.

i can set a wep key....

but i cant set a channel in managed mode....

Opperation not permitted

and it don´t connect

dhcpcd will not work ?

Just burned his ISO

I have put the card in managed mode which is not very difficult to do ("Alpha Network AWUS036H rtl8187 chipset in managed mode") and I am trying connect to my own router
    which is two feet from my computer so I guess we can eliminte the signal problem.

Also I have connected to other access points near my house with the alpha but only with Windows XP. I can dual boot with this portable computer.

i got no luck too....

not within the shell commands, the wlassistant or something else...

somthing with this buggy drivers i think we have to wait

greetz

Just go back to the original BT2 disk and install that to HD without any patches and copy the proper drivers for the alpha to where they need to be. The only bug is that last char thing and that prevents the GUI wireless assistant from working. Either rewrite WA to take care of the erronious /0 string terminator passed or enter the essid and key manually, ie:

iwconfig wlan0 essid <your-essid>n key <your-key>