Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux backup software recommendations ?

Question Linux backup software recommendations ?

I am at a point where I need to have a proper backup strategy for at least one of my linux boxes. I already have my windows systems sorted, but at the moment, other than a manual backup, that's as far as it goes.

I have been searching through lots of different software but none that I have found so far meets my requirements.

Yes I know I can do this via scripts and cron jobs, but just for once, I would like to take the easy way out.

So I thought I would draw upon the experience of the forum, and see what you would recommend.

So here is my long list of requirements.

Must be installed on the linux machines, so no need for a boot cd to make backups.
    Preferably a boot cd in case a full recovery is needed.
    Full, incremental and differential backups.
    Ability to select exactly what is backed up.
    Scheduled backups (we all leave it too long if we have to start the backup ourselves).
    Backup to a NAS rather than an attatched HDD or DVD's
    GUI configuration (even if it is a basic GUI) no manually editing config files.
    No server required to control the backup, as in the case of Bacula or Amanda.

See, I said it was a long list of requirements.

I think that's it, but if not, you get the idea of what I am looking for.

So what software would you recommend ?

This has been something I've been in need of as well!!!
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

With a bit of luck we are not the only ones, and with even more luck there may be someone with the answer that suits our needs.

Just burned his ISO

At one point of time I was looking for the same thing, and mondo rescue really caught my attention.

httx://www .mondorescue.org/

Not as big as amanda or bacula, but seems like it gets the job done. I personally didn't have the chance to use yet, but it's on my agenda.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

This might not meet all of your requirements, but I found this. haven't had time to try it yet. Looks kinda cool though.

http://code.google.com/p/flyback/wiki/HowItWorks
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Thank you everyone for your replies.

@Shaman, I looked at Bacula, but when I read it I saw it was a Server/Client system, so dismissed it. Now that you have mentioned it here, I read it again, and I guess I read it properly this time, as I see it can be run in single machine mode. So I will at least be giving that a much closer look.

Thanks all

Developer

BP Take a look at this article before you use blacula

I don't have any personal experience with it but I know a number of collegues have used Amanda (Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver) in the past.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

It depends on what you wana backup??? KDE has a backup gui called kbackup. Thats what I use Its quite good and easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast