Thread: switch from live to hdd

Default switch from live to hdd

is there a way i can boot the live cd on a pc with a hdd install, and then without any programs running(obviously) switch to the hdd instalation? i barely did any research on this topic, because ive been really tight on pc time lately! sry if this has been asked bfore then my apologies, just tell me to search harder!
    the command line is inevitable

Define switch.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Developer

If you just want a command shell than YES the chroot command will take you to a new root enviorment.

well i meant switch as in run fromt he computer, for example if you boot the live cd and the hard drive also has BT, and for example, i had this scenario once where i messed up lilo, and booted the live cd, went to fix it but it would have been much easier to just run lilo from the hdd istall, rather than having to back up my old config, reinstall lilo to the mbr and re edit the config. well lilo is a bad exmple but i think purehate got me far enough. will try that though thatnks alot...i can tbelive i overlooked such asimple litle command...

Assuming your HD is recognized then yes you can "cd" to a directory on your HD and run anything you want from there "./executable_name". (If executable_name is not proceeded by ./ then if there is a match to executable_name in your $PATH it will execute...ie: from the Boot CD not from the directory you cd'd to on the HD).

It seems extremely silly to go to all the trouble of doing a HD install only to boot from CD and then run apps from the HD but whatever floats your boat I guess.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

i know about the cd command, duhh, but yea i dont boot from my live disk, i mean if i liked the live disk i wouldnt install anything on my hard drive now would i... but it only happens when i for some reason have a live cd in the disk drive, and then it boot and i get lazy to reboot.. well not lazy but it makes me mad having to wait longer... thanks anyways haha

So your complaint is. You have your BIOS set to boot from your CDROM before your HD so when you have a CD in the drive it does exactly what you've configured it to do. Good show!

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    So your complaint is. You have your BIOS set to boot from your CDROM before your HD so when you have a CD in the drive it does exactly what you've configured it to do. Good show!
    LMFAO