Thread: crontab screwup

Just burned his ISO

Default crontab screwup

Hello ppl, I have a bit of problem, am hoping someone can help me out.

I was messing with the crontab and wanted to see what will it do if i dont type anything for the scheduled time, I just left it as * * * * *. But the command to be executed was a shutdown command.
    Dont laugh, but now, the second BT2 starts up, and by the time i can type in the user name and psswd, it shuts down. I'm stuck with it and don't know how to disable the crontab. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Ooops! lol

Simplest thing, assuming hdd install, is to just boot from the livecd and access the config file on the hdd from there, correcting it of course...

Just burned his ISO

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    Ooops! lol

Simplest thing, assuming hdd install, is to just boot from the livecd and access the config file on the hdd from there, correcting it of course...
    Already thought of that, but 2 problems:
    a: Dunno where the crontab file is for the various users......?
    b: I need to execute crond for changes to be noted by the HDD installation and for that I need to be logged onto the HDD installation.

Anymore ideas....?

Quote Originally Posted by srinag View Post
    Already thought of that, but 2 problems:
    a: Dunno where the crontab file is for the various users......?
    There's only 1 user. If you boot from the LiveCD you'll have time to locate the file then you can edit (or just copy it back to) the HD version. (They're usually /var/spool/cron/<user> or /var/spool/cron/crontabs/<user>)
    b: I need to execute crond for changes to be noted by the HDD installation and for that I need to be logged onto the HDD installation.
    Sure, fix it with a LiveCD, then reboot from your HD and make the changes you need.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Sure, fix it with a LiveCD, then reboot from your HD and make the changes you need.
    Well, that is the problem. By the time I type in my user name and psswd, it begins to shutdown and there is nothing I can do about it. I mean, immediately after the OS loads and authentication screen comes up, by the time I can finish typing in my user name and psswd it initiates the shutdown process. Now you see my problem.......

Just burned his ISO

Default Working!!!

Got it working..... Thanx!