Thread: current live cd?

Just burned his ISO

Default current live cd?

Hello,

I need a live cd version of backtrack 2 that is current. I need the latest X because the PCs I will be using have the 965GM chipset and BT2 doesn't support this chipset. I also need a newer kernel to support newer broadcom on-board NICs. Where can I find directions on how to make a live cd that is current? I have searched the forums, but the instructions I have found for updates seem to be for hard drive based installs and not live cds. The tutorials really leave alot to be desired as they don't tell you where to download files from. My home PC dual boots XP and Centos 5.1. The PCs where I will be using BT cannot have Linux installed per a policy from the powers that be.

Thanks,

Please read the forum rules - don't duplicate your posts.
    One post per topic is enough.
    (I have removed the slightly altered variation)

BT is Slax based, and as such uses the same modular approach.
    If you want to create new modules, this may be of help:
    http://backtrack.offensive-security....owto:Mod_Linux

Which tutorial(s) are you having problems with?

Default i am also interested in this ..............

...... Rock Linux or something like that( just google building your own distro) .... which is supposed to be a distribution build kit so you can build it with the things you want but i have not had time to really dig into this anyway i think you would have to install it on at least one machine and then probably integrate the updated kernel and drivers and such and then of course produce a burnable iso image but the distro build kit sounds like it might help you out or maybe get you going in the right direction or perhaps solve your problem ...ahaaa found it .....rocklinux.org/wiki/Main_Page
    I like to think but the promise of easy answers is hard to pass up
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You know your a geek when binary jokes make you giggle

Just burned his ISO

Default current live cd?

Re@lity:

I posted to the Newbie Area because I thought that was the best place at the time. After not getting a response for about a week I decided to post to the live cd forum. Thank you for removing the other posting.

I am not looking for new modules. I just want an updated kernel and X. If I can also get current versions of the applications that would be the icing on the cake, but is not necessary.

Where to start??? How about
    h??p://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7348&page=2
    the instructions on how to update a hd install of backtrack.

compiling a kernel
    Step 12: if you happen to have the same chipset as I do, etc but there is no mention what chipset aspekt9 has.

Compiling and installing the latest Xorg 7.2
    Step 1: What are we supposed to remove exactly? aspekt9 has been pretty good at giving the exact commands needed to perform each step but not here.

Step 2: Where can I download the files? Again aspekt9 gave URLs to download files from in other steps, but not this one.

Step 3: What are we supposed to install exactly?

Step 8: Install how?

I found references to slapt-get --update and then do a slapt-get --dist-upgrade but I am not sure what would be updated, and then there is the whole will the updates fit on a CD and how do I create create a Live CD of this?

I was thinking of booting my Centos install. Then doing:

1. mkdir /Custom_BT
    2. cp –ra /mnt/cdrom/* /Custom_BT
    3. chroot /Custom_BT
    4. slapt-get --update
    5. slapt-get --dist-upgrade
    6. make_iso.sh /BT_Plus.iso
    7. Burn the new Live CD

Any ideas on if you think this would work?

Thanks,

The tutorials are mostly member submitted - so you need to ask the author in question about his chipset, etc.

As for CentOS, pretty much all/any distro's may be converted into a bootable livecd. I cannot comment on CentOS specifically.
    Many have their own way of doing this, for example, Fedora have introduced a "tailor make your iso before downloading it" type of feature. But there are also generic methods/scripts.
    Look up syslinux and isolinux and mkisofs.

Take a look at http://www.linux-live.org/ from the guy that created Slax.

This guy looks like he has it all scripted out:
    http://www.captain.at/howto-linux-boot-cd.php

There is also a good book, from Prentice Hall. It's called "Live Linux CD's" and is from the Negus Live Linux Series. It's dedicated to building and/or customising live Linux CD's.
    It featured Backtrack 1 amongst others, including Knoppix, Gentoo, DSL, Ubuntu, Parallel Knoppix, Slax KillBill, etc.
    That will give you a reasonably good grounding.

Don't forget, BackTrack3 isn't far around the corner and will probably address most of your issues anyway