Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recover the bootsplash after dual-boot hdd install

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_GrEeN View Post
    what screen are we talking about here???

lilo splash is the splash.bmp in the boot folder.

bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp

The linux bootsplash is the initrd in the boot folder

initrd = /boot/splash.initrd
    Sorry, I thought that was already clear?

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    The bit you're leaving out from the global config section (bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp) is the framebuffer splash which is used by lilo during the boot screen where you choose which OS to boot. This is "another" splash screen, if you want to look at it that way - there are 2 splash screens used, fbsplash & bootsplash.

The main bootsplash still works because that's the second line edited (the initrd = /boot/splash.initrd) which you are still including.

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    Sorry, I thought that was already clear?
    So did I in post 1 but you still getting people ask. I'l remove the first bit

and read it again

lilo splash is the splash.bmp in the boot folder.

bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp

The linux bootsplash is the initrd in the boot folder

Its a question to solution just making myself clear as possible. but started to trip near the end lol.

what I ment was

or the linux bootsplash initrd in the boot folder

Re@lity,

So there's 2 splash screens?? Are they different looking?

The one I'm using

Code:
    comes in after the whole....

Code:
     boot:
    Loading Linux..........................................
    and it looks like a "mini" back|track2" desktop background.

But your saying that theres another different splash that is at the Lilo OS selection screen that isn't all red?? And thats the
    Code:
    bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp
    that gives you that different splash??

Hmmm.....I didn't know that!!

Thanks Re@lity for pointing that one out.

And I thought I knew everything there was to know.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

you can also create your own initrd easy with the splash tool. I'm not sure if it comes with bt2 but you can download it. And get ya bootsplashes from kdelook.

To change your lilo splash you have to keep the colours low but ive had a play and got a game on my lilo splash lol you can also position the text ETC.

So does lilo write the bootsplash to the mbr?? or does it call it up at the startup? Because if its in the mbr it won't change until you actually write to the mbr with lilo again?? I haven't got a clue how this process works.

No, sorry - you've lost me.
    (I have flu atm, so maybe I'm not thinking so straight!?)

Where?

ts a question to solution just making myself clear as possible. but started to trip near the end lol.
    My OP was talking about both the fbsplash and the bootsplash.
    It is intended for noobs that have already installed BT and subsequently lost the splash screens, usually from using liloconfig to add their windows partition.

My last post, to which you responded, already points out the difference between the fbsplash and the bootsplash, and their respective locations.
    (I don't understand why you simply repeated that info?)

Xploitz reply, to my OP, is concentrating upon a method used *during* install, as per Mut's dual-boot video on the wiki, was ignoring the fbsplash, but adding the bootsplash.
    He commented that it still worked, although he left out the fbsplash........to which I replied, attempting to explain that the bootsplash still worked on its own, as the line he ommitted was for the fbsplash which isn't a required line in order for the bootsplash to work.

I don't know how much clearer that can be?
    But, as I said, I'm not entirely sure of what exactly you are trying to ask??

(I have flu atm, so maybe I'm not thinking so straight!?)
    Get to bed m8t lol you've gone crazy lol

It was a question to solution. Who posted

nothing worked for me on an older install..
    Just was asking what didn't work both screens?? different instructions ??? was asking for a bit more info to see if I could help out. thats all!!!

I was replying to your blunt comment about me stating the obvious but I think we've got a wires crossed somewhere along the lines

My last post was about actually editing the mbr. I did'nt know if people were getting confused and not writing the new lilo.conf to the mbr. If you don't do this your splashes will stay the same. I know lilo splash works like this but wasn't sure about bootsplashes.

Sorry if I confused you !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_GrEeN View Post
    It was a question to solution..........
    Ahh, OK.

I completely mis-read you as saying something confusing, along the lines of "it was a question to a solution" !?!

Please quote your intended recipient, when replying to a thread with multiple replies within it.
    Then we'd all know who you are actually addressing - especially those of us with the flu' and under excessive self-medication

And yes, lilo must be re-invoked to implement any lilo.conf changes

OHHHH!!! Sorry about that didn' even think of that lol I knew we had are wires crossed.

And yes I will quote people properly in future sorry

I am running backtrack 3 i have the lilo splash running and replaced ugly red one.
    I did have this /etc/bootsplash/themes/Linux/images/bootsplash-1024x768.jpg loading when backtrack booted before. I had to reinstall and cant remember how the hell i got it working i have followed:

http://forum.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=10191

and this from wiki

* Note: To keep the splashscreen in BT3, Enter the following commands after chroot during installation:

splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/themes/Linux/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg >> /boot/splash.initrd

#In addition you need to append your lilo.conf file to:
    initrd=/boot/splash.initrd

I am still having problems if someone could tell me how i did it again please
    I like the quieter you become the more you are able to hear screen loading
    here is my lilo.conf

boot = /dev/sda
    prompt
    timeout = 300
    bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp
    change-rules
    reset
    #vga = 769,771/773/792
    vga = 769
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    initrd= /boot/splash.initrd
    root = /dev/sda3
    label = BackTrack
    read-only
    other = /dev/sda1
    label = WinXP
    table = /dev/sda

Thanks
    My life is a living Hell, Day by Day fixing broken Windows Boxes (will it ever end)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12