Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux backup software recommendations ?

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    BP Take a look at this article before you use blacula
    Thanks for that, yes I already had a look at that, but the way I understood it was that it only affected you if you were running it as as server that controls the backup, and you run out of disk space when two machines were being backed up at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    I don't have any personal experience with it but I know a number of collegues have used Amanda (Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver) in the past.
    The problem with amanda is that it requires a server that controls the backup process. The device I intend to use to store the backups is a "dumb" NAS, so there is no way (that I know of) of running any kind of software on it. I am looking for something that works as a service on the machine to be backed up, and all of the setting of what, when and type of backup is controlled via that software, I suppose the windows equivalent would be ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_GrEeN View Post
    It depends on what you wana backup??? KDE has a backup gui called kbackup. Thats what I use Its quite good and easy.
    This was the first thing I looked at, but when I tried it, it made a copy of everything that was sheduled to be backed up on the machine, actually on the HDD itself before copying that to the NAS, whilst that is fine right now, once the disk starts to have less free space on it, it is going to be a problem.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions everyone, I guess I still have quite a bit of research ahead of me.

I know this is a complete diversion (in a way) from the backup software you originally mentioned, but well worth considering:

I don't know if you have to stick with the "dumb" nas box you mentioned....
    If not, take a look at one you can run *nix on, like the qnap or synology nas boxes.
    They tend to be expensive, but are very good.

Or even one of those little NSLU2 devices - they can be extremely versatile and are a much cheaper way to go, and use cheap USB drives.
    I have one running a full Debian install, via an attached 2.5" caddy.
    They are more powerful then they might first appear. I even got it running x sessions over ssh at a usable rate, just for fun, which is surprising for the spec of the little thing!

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

Just some food for thought

I have a strange feeling that the soldering iron and the box of "junk" is going to come out.
    The "dumb" NAS I was talking about, might not be as "dumb" as I thought. They talk about a couple of NAS boxes on there, and contrary to my usual luck, mine is one of them, a 250GB Iomega 100d.

There looks to be a lot of reading ahead of me, but it looks as though it could be an interesting project, and also looks like there are some interesting software addons as well, like a Radius server and far too many others to mention.

Thank you for this, it has made me look in a direction that I may not have looked at, although as I did say
    The device I intend to use to store the backups is a "dumb" NAS, so there is no way (that I know of) of running any kind of software on it.
    The thought must have crossed my mind, however briefly.

Thank you

Excellent!

I was going to mention that they do also cover quite a number of other devices, too. But you'll see that for yourself of course
    As I recall, the 100d is very well supported - that's a really nice box you've got there. Far from the "dumb nas" you led us to believe

It's a great project, similar to OpenWRT, et al.

As for versatility - if you browse through, you'll see it being used for all sorts of services.

The Debian install I mentioned having on my NSLU2 is particularly interesting from the point of view that Debian actually supports the hardware architecture directly, with their repositories, etc. So the scope of versatility there is akin to a full-blown PC, pretty much, in the sense of running all kinds of services quite simply and easily. All in a little box not much bigger than a pack of cigarettes, and probably burning around 10watts!
    Anyway, I'm rambling.......(still got this flu' bug )

Let us know if you pursue it, and how it goes

The "dumb nas" was more from the perspective of it not being a PC running, say freenas, and you have to admit that in it's current factory state it is easily considered dumb.

I have actually had it from day one they appeared on the market, in fact it was pre ordered. My major gripe with it was that when WPA came out, there was no update to support it, and in fact if you read the Iomega website, there is a statement saying that there never will . That annoyed me, especially when they say "Lifetime support" and that it is upgradable, So I guess that means jack as far as they are concerned. Not that it really matters, as I have only ever used it wired and one of the first things I did when setting it up was to turn off wireless, but it would have been nice to have the option. Apart from that I cannot complain about it, I set it up in about 10 mins when I got it and have never had to touch it since, apart from a firmware update or two.

I have lots of reading to do, and if I do go ahead with anything, I will definitely take loads of pictures and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for pointing it out to me.

So many things I want to do, and so little time. A problem I am sure that all of us have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12