Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help uninstalling

Just burned his ISO

Default Help uninstalling

I need help uninstalling BackTrack 2...this is how it all started...

On windows Vista i partitioned part of my drive...so i have
    C:\ (where windows is installed)
    D:\ (recovery HP makes when you buy there laptop)
    L:\ (the partition i made to install back track)

so i load up the windows live cd after this...boot Bt acpi=off...everything works and i log in with startx...and then i install it, (again...i did not know there was a guide to how i had to install it) so i install it to sda2 which turns out to be the partiton i made (thank god...) and well, seeing how i;ve used Windows all my life (except at uni where they use linux) i figured installation would be a piece of cake...heres where everything goes wrong...

Installation Finishes and then to my surprise...when i reboot Backtrack boots but it hangs...so i have to boot from the live cd by restarting...and well...here am now, i have no clue how to remove it...I've looked around and havent been able to find something that works...heres what ive tried:

I've tried to figure out how to use lilo..but to no avail...like someone suggested in another post, "Lilo -v"...i type that in console and get
    bt~# lilo -v
    Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
    Fatal: open /dev/hda Read-Only file system
    If anyone can give me the proper way to use Lilo i'd appreciate it, i am really bad with linux.

I've tried...
    bt~# cfdisk /dev/sda
    and then i see all the drives
    sda1 Ntfs 146159 mb
    sda2 w95 fat32 5241 mb (the one i created)
    sda3 NTFS 8636 (hp recovery drive)

when i try to delete sda2..it deletes but then if i check cfdisk /dev/sda it reappears...so that didnt work...

When i type: bt~# mount /dev/sda2 it says
    mount: /dev/sda2 already mounted or /mnt/sda2 busy
    mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda2 is already mounted on /mnt/sda2

LASTLY...I've tried puttin in a win XP cd...probem is when i try to install windows or repair it..it says it doesnt detect a harddrive ! Any help would be apprecaited...If i could only boot up windows i'd be able to remove that partition! lol....Please help me! (Again, i know there was a guide ur supposta follow, i only realised that afterwards)

Just burned his ISO

I figured a way to delete the partition with the BT2 Cd...and that was through qtParted...so now my sda2 (partition where i installed BT2) is gone. However, even when i boot up it will still boot BT2, which is weird since the partition is gone.

One thing i noted was when i had the xp cd in cd drive, when it gets to the screen "press any key to boot from cd" if i dont press anything immediately after for like half a second i see "Lilo..." something right underneth the "press any key to boot from cd" which leads me to believe linux loader is still on my system, does anyone know how to fix boot up with lilo...I'm horrible with linux

Use xp cd to boot up and choose R for repair..type fixmbr.......If not you can use boot partiton magic to remove linux partition and you can boot winsxp..or you can re- format and remove all partition,make backup all data to others hd before you do this and start all over again....

Or boot an old win98 dos boot disc and do
    Code:
    fdisk /mbr
    Both suggested methods ( this one and the above fixmbr) will re-write your mbr with windows boot loader (ntldr)
    Your BT partition will remain, unless separately removed.

so i load up the windows live cd after this...boot Bt acpi=off...everything works and i log in with startx...and then i install it
    BT2 is a linux livecd, not a windows livecd

After deleting the BT2 partition, you're still seeing Lilo at boot time because it's still installed in the mbr as your boot manager. This is separate form the BT2 partition you made.

Just burned his ISO

Hm, When i use the Windows Xp cd, either trying to install or repair it says...

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any dis-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit setup press F3"

And then it just reboots. So just to make sure my harddrive is working i do the harddrive test in BIOS and it says pass. So I'm not too sure about whats going on lol.

My partition for BT2 is gone, i just cant seem to rewrite the mbr to a windos boot loader. Any ideas? Do i need a vista back up cd?

Just burned his ISO

Another update is that, i tried my friends windows vista system restore, that however didnt work (Or lapts are pretty similar, with the exception that my processor is different)...I just wanted to use it to reinstall vista but that didnt work. Any clue on how i can do a refresh install? (stupid HP laptops dont bundle the operating system disks anymore...)

Default XP or Vista

Are you using XP or Vista??
    Your posts seem to be switching between the two OS's

OK. Basically it looks like you have actually deleted both the BT2 partition which you made previously, and your XP/Vista partition, and probably the HP restore partition also.
    Did you make a "restore dvd" from their included "restore disc creation" program??

So now, you have no partitions.
    However, in my experience, restore discs will usually create the partition also.
    But anyway, assuming you are using *your own* correct restore disc, and it isn't creating the partition for you.........use a partition creation tool to create a new NTFS or FAT32 partition. Then fire up your restore disc again.

Or, if you have important data on your now deleted windows partition, you could try a partition/data recovery program to attempt to re-instate your original windows partition.......although I don't fancy your chances, judging by your previous posts

BTW, what are you hoping to achieve by using BT2 if you aren't even familiar with the above concepts?

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by William1 View Post
    Hm, When i use the Windows Xp cd, either trying to install or repair it says...

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any dis-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit setup press F3"

And then it just reboots. So just to make sure my harddrive is working i do the harddrive test in BIOS and it says pass. So I'm not too sure about whats going on lol.

My partition for BT2 is gone, i just cant seem to rewrite the mbr to a windos boot loader. Any ideas? Do i need a vista back up cd?
    You have to install windows from disk to over write the mbr. The other way to do it is to boot a recovery disk and choose to boot into windows with a recovery console and issue the command fixmbr. Sounds to me like your s^%ts jacked and you should nuke disc and start over.

Just burned his ISO

Sorry about the confusion. To clear it up...
    I read somewhere someone saying if you want to fix the mdr you can use an old XP cd, (So thats what i did, used an old xp cd, but i always get the harddrive error). However, I am running the VISTA Home premium OS (or well, atleast i was lol).

Another problem is, when i bought my computer they did the recovery disk for me, (they insisted...so i trusted they did it right), and as it turns out im not sure they did it right and my recovery disk doesnt work (as in the drive will not read the disk) so i had to try another recovery disk from a friend of mine. The point of that was i was hoping the recovery would have some sort of "reformat and install fresh version of Vista" (ineffect starting from scratch).

I have all my important stuff back up, so at this point i just wanna nuke and start from scratch. But the part that pisses me off is that HP doesnt bundle the OS.

So As you can see my problems are as follows:
    Situation... 1) If i nuke and start from scratch...I have no Vista Installation cd...(I looked at torrents, but thy're doesnt seem to be a legit copy, (note i have a legit cd key)

Situation... 2)What im hoping, is that there is someway to change the MBR so that my old Vista will reload. I've tried using the Xp cd to go to console but with no luck.

Situation... 3) ~Which im leaning closer and closer too~ Since i bought the extended warrenty, I want to bring it back and have them restore the factory settings by sending it to HP. However, before i can do that, i need to Clean wipe my drive and kill the BT2 splash screen that starts up when I load up the comp (doing this will kill the splash screen i suppose?) . I'm curious to know how I will be able to nuke my Harddrive because
    a) XP cd doesnt recognize the harddrive anymore, so i cant go to console and format
    b)That only leaves me with BIOS (which is useless for this situation)
    So that leaves me with the problem of how to reformat my harddrive lol. Seeing how BT2 Live cd will still load up, the only logical answer is to use qtparted and delete all drives? Unless anyone knows how i can get into windows console or something...
    Hm..Sure got myself in a bunch of crap, but its a learnin process.

Note: BT2 LIVE still detects both Main partition and HP recovery partition.

Sorry for the confusion, I am familar however (or atleast i think i am, pretty sure) i think i just mis-communicated what i was trying to say.

Developer

Wow. So let me see if I got this right. You were trying to restore your vista with a xp cd. Now I'm no rocket scientist but that seems a little far fetched. Granted this is the backtrack forum and our help should end when you decide to uninstall our fine distro but just like the chaps at geek squad I feel we should help a unsatisfied customer "get back to normal". So the way I see it you have 4 options.

#1 Reinstall backtrack and suck it up

#2 Do a internet search for a boot CD such as hirens boot cd or ultamite boot cd. Both of these and others have recovery software to repair your mbr. I know for a fact hirens has vista support but I cant speak for any others.

#3 Search the internet for nuke disc. Download and run on your machine. This will completely toast everything. Then you can go back to the local computer shop and tell them you were hit with FBI gamma rays or some other lie and the will get you going again

#4 Download a vista torrent and try to fix the mbr. If that doesnt work reinstall and use you legit key.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast