Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VMware Server w/XP host & BT2 Guest

Gave it another shot and used vmware-workstation 6.0.2 to set up xp in the host mode and BT2 in the guest mode.

Setup was very smooth.....and the system works well. Used the BT2 forum lzm module for the vmware tools. Moved the wireless usb from host to guest. And, voila! Full BT2 capability to include all the wireless terminal commands. that I haven't been able to get with the other virtual software.

So, it appears that neither vmware server nor virtual Box work with an XP host mode and BT2 guest mode. For anyone that wanders via search to this thread...use the vmware workstation software.

Thanks to swc666 for mentioning his software.

Alacrity

IMHO it is better to have BT as the host, because of the direct access to all your hardware.
    Have Xp, Vista or whatever as the guest, as they are happy to work without direct access to the hardware, and will easily use your peripherals.

Also PCMCIA cards will have FULL support by BT which is the OS that would really need it.

Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    IMHO it is better to have BT as the host, because of the direct access to all your hardware.
    Have Xp, Vista or whatever as the guest, as they are happy to work without direct access to the hardware, and will easily use your peripherals.
    Actually... that isn't completely accurate. As alacrityathome stated to me in a PM, I actually believe 100% now that it comes down to the VMWare software itself!

He was using vmware server and wasn't able to directly access his card(s) through the software's menu itself. As I told him in my reply email (believe me or not), but I had a suspicion that it could have been vmware server that was causing the problems.

I had ran vm-server for all of 12 mins in the past, and quickly made the choice to buy ACE edition. With ACE edition (and I'm not trying to come across as a salesman for them at all) I can FULLY access ANY device that would be accessible in the host environment with total control.

Believe me tho... if I didn't have the need for every last drop of ram in my notebook, I'd run BT or other *nix distro as the host
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

In That case I will have to give the ACE version a try.

Do you mean that you can run BT as the guest, and fully use aircrack using a PCMCIA card, even though it is being controlled from the BT guest OS ?

If so I will Be buying it straight away.

In That case I will have to give the ACE version a try.

Do you mean that you can run BT as the guest, and fully use aircrack using a PCMCIA card, even though it is being controlled from the BT guest OS ?

If so I will Be buying it straight away.
    I'm not sure about PCMCIA cards.... I wouldn't see why not though.

With my USB (Linksys WUSB54GC) card with B|T guest in XP host environment, I can plug it in... stop the device in XP, add the device from the vmware usb menu in vm, and have total control over it as if B|T was the host OS. This is 100% doable in ACE edition, so I would definitely encourage you to get it if that is the functionality you need

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post

With my USB (Linksys WUSB54GC) card with B|T guest in XP host environment, I can plug it in... stop the device in XP, add the device from the vmware usb menu in vm, and have total control over it as if B|T was the host OS. This is 100% doable in ACE edition, so I would definitely encourage you to get it if that is the functionality you need
    But that is available in any of the other versions I have used, it is the PCMCIA usage and functionality that was mentioned earlier that I was trying to get cleared up.

But that is available in any of the other versions I have used, it is the PCMCIA usage and functionality that was mentioned earlier that I was trying to get cleared up.
    Unfortunately I can't say for sure. I sold my Senao card when I got my HP so I can't test it for you.

On 2nd thought... why not try before you buy?

There are definite differences between software. Both vmware server and virtual box seemed limited and difficult to run with BT2 in the guest mode.

Although the initial menus looked very similar between vmware server and the vmware workstation, there was a big difference in how much smoother vmware workstation worked with BT2.

As swc666 mentioned, the usb wireless readily pops back and forth between host and guest and when needed by the BT2 guest, fully commits to the guest mode and all the BT2 commands.

Although I kept an Atheros in the pcmcia slot, I don't see it being picked up by the workstation software for use by BT2.

Alacrity

Just burned his ISO

Default Please help w/ wusb54gc

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post

Did you have to install the RT73 drivers in order to get this to work?
    I haven't been able to get the fragmentation + packet forge method to create an arp packet which is used for the replay attack. Have you been able to do that w/ your WUSB54GC wireless USB dongle?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thejipster View Post
    Did you have to install the RT73 drivers in order to get this to work?
    I haven't been able to get the fragmentation + packet forge method to create an arp packet which is used for the replay attack. Have you been able to do that w/ your WUSB54GC wireless USB dongle?

thanks
    Yep... and I'm more a fan of the serial m0nkey drivers than the aspj one's personally

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast