Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VMware Server w/XP host & BT2 Guest

Default VMware Server w/XP host & BT2 Guest

I see the nice tutorials on the reverse case of BT2 as host but for one of my laptops, I would like to have a running XP host and BT2 guest via VMware Server software.

I have everything running nicely including VMware Server and internet access of BT2 (guest) via a bridged connection to host (XP).

BUT, I can not obtain access via iwconfig, aircrack, airodump, aireplay, etc via terminal commands with BT2 with either USB or PCMCIA wireless cards. Has anyone achieved this on the forum? Is it possible?

Thanks for any feedback.

Alacrity

Do you have vmware tools installed?

Is the USB/PCMCIA card being used by XPee? If so, 'Safely Remove' the device.

Do you have vmware set to recognize the USB/PCMCIA device from the vmware menu?

What lappy are you using?
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Forget PCMCIA cards, they will not work under VMware.

Thanks for everyone's inputs.

Actually, as I write this, I am connected to the internet with an Atheros PCMCIA card as a BT2 guest going thru XP as host in a bridged connection. So, it looks like Pcmcia works to some extent. I did see that comment about pcmcia in another thread but I am up.

But, I haven't gotten the critical BT2 terminal commands working yet ... are you saying that is not possible but a USB wireless would work? Iwconfig does not see either the usb or the pcmcia cards.

Under the menu and the usb tab, I don't see the zydac zd1211rw recognized either. This is the other wireless usb/card for which I am trying to see if there is a difference between pcmcia and usb. The menu only shows a usb tab...no pcmcia category under the menu.

I am also trying to get vmware to install the vmware tools....but after clicking on the install, it just greys out...without or not seeming to install. Then, after a restart, it shows the tools uninstalled. If I can confirm the tools are installed, will that give more capability to the menus?

Thanks swc666 for your inputs. Let me keep banging away at this thing....I want it to work...it will simplify my life if it does.

Do both of you know that an XP host / BT2 guest situation will work? If so, I will soldier ahead knowing it is at least possible.

I keep thinking that it feels a little like ndiswrapper.....that BT2 terminal commands (association and injection) will not work under ndiswrapper. And, my bridge access via the xp host might be stopping my ability to use the BT2 terminal association/injection/iwconfig commands.

Laptop is not too ancient. Sony 900Mhz with 400MB Ram and a 120GB hdd. I did try to safely remove the pcmcia, swc, but then reinstalled with BT2 running with the same results.

Thanks again for your help,

Alacrity

Quote Originally Posted by alacrityathome View Post
    Thanks for everyone's inputs.

Actually, as I write this, I am connected to the internet with an Atheros PCMCIA card as a BT2 guest going thru XP as host in a bridged connection. So, it looks like Pcmcia works to some extent. I did see that comment about pcmcia in another thread but I am up.
    You can share the hosts connection with pcmcia, but your not gonna have 'total control' (as balding_parrot stated)

But, I haven't gotten the critical BT2 terminal commands working yet ... are you saying that is not possible but a USB wireless would work? Iwconfig does not see either the usb or the pcmcia cards.
    I've had no issues whatsoever with my wusb54gc card (running bt - vmware workstation ace edition on an xp host.... injection, promisc mode, etc) so it's very possible.

Under the menu and the usb tab, I don't see the zydac zd1211rw recognized either. This is the other wireless usb/card for which I am trying to see if there is a difference between pcmcia and usb. The menu only shows a usb tab...no pcmcia category under the menu.
    Hmmmm. Try modprobe for the device (?) and maybe look at lsusb and dmesg to see what's up(?)

I am also trying to get vmware to install the vmware tools....but after clicking on the install, it just greys out...without or not seeming to install. Then, after a restart, it shows the tools uninstalled. If I can confirm the tools are installed, will that give more capability to the menus?
    I've always compiled them from source... I tried the lzm found somewhere here on the forum (once) to no avail, so me being the person that I am I did it the old school what (make && make install )

Thanks swc666 for your inputs. Let me keep banging away at this thing....I want it to work...it will simplify my life if it does.

Do both of you know that an XP host / BT2 guest situation will work? If so, I will soldier ahead knowing it is at least possible.
    Once again... yeppers. Which usb card is it?

Default Great inputs.

Many thanks for your great inputs. I will keep pushing with your inputs.....and by goodness....I will have this sucker working!

The usb is an Airlink101 ... not as well known as the chipset zd1211rw itself....which works well under BT2.

And, "total control"....yes, that's what we all want!

But, I also have a WUSB54G v4 usb wireless among my arsenal of weapons and will try that as well.

Now, back to work.

Thanks again,

Alacrity

It seems my earlier statement is partially incorrect, and from what I can determine from the limited information they have available is that.

In the last couple of months VMware have introduced limited support for some PCMCIA devices, it also appears that the degree to which a device is supported is sketchy at best.

In the case of a network card, it is likely that only limited networking capabilities will be available.

Throughout everything that they are saying on PCMCIA support, there is "should be possible" repeated numerous times.

So my apologies for making an incorrect statement, but it appears that you are one of the lucky ones to have limited support.

Thanks for your feedback, bp. All good software including BT and vmware seem to go thru rapid continuous improvements and upgrading......so it's almost impossible to keep up with it.

I now have both the atheros pcmcia card and my wusb54g v4 performing at the same level with xp host and bt guest mode.

But, not yet getting the full set of BT commands going. I am beginning to think that my free vmware server software is not at the same level of capability as swc666's "workstation ace edition" software. And, some of the documentation warns of not having the same full capability. I had also tried Virtual Box but it had a harder time accepting BT in a guest mode.

I will try a few more things but then maybe await BT3 and reverse the host/guest relationship and use the famous bp vmware tutorial. I think it will then be easy to get the full BT benefit of the wireless capability and also run any guest Linux or Windows o/s.

Thanks again.

Alacrity

Did you ever get this resolved?

Thanks for your post, swc.

I just got back from two days of travel and can now give it another shot.

It looks like virtualware may have more of an affinity for Ubuntu ... at least it shows up in the menus as opposed to clicking on the general "Linux 2.6 kernel " selection in the menu.

So for one of the tests, I will give an Ubuntu based Security Distro like Protech a try to see if BT2 is a specific issue with the vmware server or Virtual Box software that I am using.

I will post some results as soon as I do some more testing. Thanks for all your help.

Alacrity

Edit: No go. Loved the software but just didn't fly for me. I will await BT3 and put BT3 in the host position.....which should work. Thanks again for the inputs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast