Thread: Packet capture very slow on desktop and laptop doesn't find networks

Just burned his ISO

Smile Packet capture very slow on desktop and laptop doesn't find networks

Hi, I'm new to backtrack 2 I just downloaded it yesterday and burned it to a CD. I started working with it yesterday on my computer to try and hack my network's WEP key. The adapter I have on my computer is a WUSB54G. It's a usb external one. I am able to find 2 networks and get all the way to cracking but when I try cracking it says I do not have enough packets. My packet capture is going very slow though, about 16 packets a second. At that speed it would take me over 16 hours to crack my WEP key on my network. I cannot understand why it is soo slow because I saw a few videos online where the packets are captured at about 1000+ a second. If it is needed I can post all the commands that I used.

My other problem is me and my friend tried using his laptop to try and crack my network after it didn't work with my adapter. He has a HP Pavilion dv9610us. Backtrack is able to detect the internal wifi but when I try searching for networks it does not find anything even though we are about 15 feet from my router and many other networks as well are detected in windows.

Any help and solutions would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone.

Just burned his ISO

Bump, please can someone help me out?

Can you supply some details?

What commands/syntax are you are using??
    Etc........

Your friends laptop - what wifi card does it have?
    How are you searching for AP's?
    Etc......

How many AP's can you see, or are trying to crack?
    How far away are they?

You won't get any useful answers without supplying details...........

Also, how is this a problem with the physical disc itself?
    MOVED: to wireless

Just burned his ISO

These are the commands that I used in their order:

First of all I opened up Kismet and saw that my adapter was named rausb0.

iwconfig rausb0 mode monitor

airodump-ng rausb0 -w keys.ivs 6 rausb0

aireplay-ng -1 0 -e E3R31 -a (the BSSID that is shown by Kismet of my router) -h (mac address of the computer I am using at that moment which I used macchanger to find) rausb0

aireplay-ng -3 -b (the BSSID that is shown by Kismet of my router) -h (mac address of the computer I am using at that moment which I used macchanger to find) rausb0

aircrack-ng -s keys-01.ivs

These are the commands I used in their order.

As for my friend's laptop he has a Broadcom 44??.
    I only remember the models first 2 numbers 44 forgot the other 2.

With his laptop we opened up kismet and turned monitor mode on but it didn't find any networks in the manner that my computer did.

With my computer I can see 2 access points. One which is mine, about 15 feet away, and the other of a kid who lives about 1.5 blocks from my house.

With my friend's laptop in Windows we were able to detect many networks including mine but when we booted into Backtrack 2 and opened up Kismet it didn't find anything.

I didn't say that there was anything wrong with the disc, maybe I gave off that impression but there isn't anything wrong with the disc or software. Maybe I am doing something wrong in the commands and that is why my computer is only able to read the packets at about 16 a second.

Thanks again for the help.

What driver and version is your WUSB54G? Ralink chipsets are sometimes unstable. I have the same problem as yours.

Read my thread for more info : http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9405

You should also check this compatibility list:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9405

Hope I helped. Atheros chipsets are the best in linux afterall.

Just burned his ISO

My WUSB54G is using the Linksys driver in windows but I am not sure which version. From what I have read it seems that there is no solution for this. What is weird for me is that it works it just works slow at reading the packets.

If I cannot get my WUSB54G to work properly is there anything we could do about my friends laptop to get it to detect networks?

Thanks for the help.