Thread: Netgear WG311T cards visually disimilar! wtf?

Default Netgear WG311T cards visually disimilar! wtf?

Ok, I'm retiring my Senao NL-2511CD EXT2 card that i could never get to inject or even deauthenticate and have begun looking for an Atheros Chipset PCI card to use in my desktop machine. I noticed a few WG311T cards around but I spotted something strange, they don't all look the same:

img3.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?2e7ee8b7ff.jpg

The one on the left looks like a newer version, should i be content with either or is one of them going to surprise me in a bad way? If you have successfully used this type card which version was it?

I can't help with that specific model, regarding the exact variations, but I can point out that many card manufacturers, particularly Netgear in my experience, switch chipsets in mid production, whilst retaining the same model number on the board!
    See the old WG511 saga, for example......
    (iirc, they even maintained the same FCC ID on the different versions of the "version 1" WG511 card)

So it looks to be the same story here, also......

The one on the right looks "clownish" with the cable coming out of the shield. The one on the left looks more professional. You should be able to pop the lid of the can off the foundation and get a gander at the chip set (it will also snap back on).

You might also be able to do it on the card on the right, but I don't have a clear enough picture to be sure.

Well, it looks like I will have to buy them one at a time and see which one works

We've all been there before
    (particularly the WG511 saga I mentioned.......these boards were probably responsible for 1/2 of Netgear's net profit that year!)

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Look on the box!!! There are at least 6 versions of this card. The did 3 versions in pcmcia and don't know how many pci revisions.

I always check the box. If you take a quick look over the box it tells you what chipset its using. You are looking for the atheros logo.

Be aware though I know one dosn't work because the local computer store only sells these ones now because of aircrack lol.

Quote Originally Posted by default View Post
    Ok, I'm retiring my Senao NL-2511CD EXT2 card that i could never get to inject or even deauthenticate and have begun looking for an Atheros Chipset PCI card to use in my desktop machine.
    Interested in letting go of that senao for a reasonable price?
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

Checking the box isn't an option when buying online like most people do - and the retailers are usually next to useless if you ask them which revision/chipset it is, in my experience......

Default: You sure you aren't using an NL-2511CD Plus Ext2 M ??
    They were Prism3 (M stands for Mercury) and are to be avoided imho.
    It's an *identical* card, to look at.

Default oh yeah.......

the retailers are worse than useless........the techs at the major retailers are the biggest disappointment......most anyway. I have a Netgear 311WPN bought off the shelf (with cash, of course that doesn't keep you off the monitors) it is playing nice now that i have learned some of the in's and out's with the virtual interfaces , haven't mastered all the tools but it does work for injection
    I like to think but the promise of easy answers is hard to pass up
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You know your a geek when binary jokes make you giggle

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieFire View Post
    Interested in letting go of that senao for a reasonable price?
    I looked at your location and it's encrypted! and I'm In the Bermuda Triangle When I typed "retiring" I meant stuck in my box of assorted wireless stuff, I don't plan on parting with it cause it still Monitors very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    ...... Default: You sure you aren't using an NL-2511CD Plus Ext2 M ??
    They were Prism3 (M stands for Mercury) and are to be avoided imho.
    It's an *identical* card, to look at.
    It's the "NL-2511CD PLUS EXT2(E100)" That's meant to be a firmware restricted 100mw card, it's supposed to be a Prism 2.5. But, There's an ominous FCC ID: "N13-2511CD-PLUS3" I hope that "3" isn't what i think it is