Thread: file recovery

Default file recovery

Hi,

Is there a software for recovering files from fat and ntfs formatted harddrives?
    In windows a good example is Recuva

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: file recovery

Yes there is. Thanks for asking.

Thanks for answering, bun could someone tell me whats the neme of that software, how and where can I get it. And I'd like that that software uses GUI

I would have thought the implied sarcasm and the lack of details in the answer would have been enough to get you to talk.
    OK so let's try again. What is it you are trying to do? And what does it have to do with Back Track? Because there are tools in Back Track to do what it is you are posting.
    But in order for us to better help you, you will need to provide some details.

Well Im trying to recover deleted photos from my cameras memory card.
    I can do it with Windows, but Im slowly going to stop using windows, so I would like to know how to recover files using Linux, in my case BackTrack4.
    Well it have something to de with BT, its linux so thats all, this is beginners forum

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Quick hint: try looking under Backtrack>Digital Forensics or The Sleuth Toolkit (TSK) for docs on the net. Archangel.Amael you really make my day when checking out these forums! I love it! (not being sarcastic either)

Well forensics mode in BT4 would probably be a good place to start. Or Helix 3. Also if you use the BT menu and have three seconds to look around you will find something...

Quote Originally Posted by halfdone View Post
    Well Im trying to recover deleted photos from my cameras memory card.
    I can do it with Windows, but Im slowly going to stop using windows, so I would like to know how to recover files using Linux, in my case BackTrack4.
    Well it have something to de with BT, its linux so thats all, this is beginners forum
    First and foremost I don't care if it is the beginners forum or not. Properly asking a question on a forum is a sure fire way to get a response that is beneficial to all parties involved.
    We are not here to guess your intentions, needs, problems, or plans. So with that out of the way.
    Lets start here
    File Carving - Forensics Wiki
    There you will find information about the topic. As stated here in this thread there are several tools that are located within the Digital Forensics section of BT4.
    Those tools have help and or man pages available on either the distro itself or the internet. They can also help you accomplish what you are trying to do. If you are wanting to simply learn how it's done then I would suggest the first thing you do is learn how to make a copy of the drive, that way if something goes wrong during your experiments you have a backup. Then once that is finished look at the various techniques and procedures on the above referenced wiki for more guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel.Amael View Post
    ... If you are wanting to simply learn how it's done then I would suggest the first thing you do is learn how to make a copy of the drive, that way if something goes wrong during your experiments you have a backup. Then once that is finished look at the various techniques and procedures on the above referenced wiki for more guidance.
    Agreed. I'm using to making 3 Forensically sound copies before I even ATTEMPT to screw with digging into a drive image. Also free version of FTK or FTK Imager can probly find most of them. But Linux wise I would make an image of the drive and run foremost.