Thread: Blank screen on boot..

scottsee

Default Blank screen on boot..

Dual boot Ubuntu Fawn/Xp on my XPS M140 laptop.

LiveCD Final -- 700m CD-R

I stuck in the LiveCD and it came up with the :boot prompt, thent loaded the first 2 lines and went blank. There continued to have CD-ROM interaction but nothing happens.

SameLiveCD loads fine on my desktop. As far as I know the CD-ROM drive works fine, I've been using it all day burning images and watching the "Certified Ethical Hacker DVD's".

I'm going to pick up a cd-cleaner from wallmart tonight and give it a go. Not sure it could be anything else. will report back tonight..

virtthemaest

I had the same prob.

Try to install nvidia driver from console:

Check to see if your card is compatible.

If it is then download 100.14.19 driver onto a usb thumbdrive. Let it boot with the thumbdrive attached then after you login
    cd to /mnt/thumbdrivename (type mount if you do not know the name)
    then:

Code:
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.runFollow the on screen guide and let it create a new xorg.conf
    startx

Don't thank me thanks goes to PrairieFire

scottsee

I wish there was a delete optioin. I should have searched before posting.. Sorry..

scottsee

Quote Originally Posted by scottsee View Post
    I wish there was a delete optioin. I should have searched before posting.. Sorry..
    Adding the Cheat Code
    Code:
    bt acpi=off
    got me past the boot issue. Now I encountering that the applications load, very, very, verrry slow. It's takes about 3 minuets to load the GUI (startx). It's acting like it's skipping RAM and cashing everything to the hard drive. It's compleatly unusable in this condition.

scottsee

To test my computers functionality I created a USB Boot-stick and loaded was able to boot much-much faster. Unfortionitly when I log in as /Root I get 3 error messages and I am not able to run any commands I receive the following message.

Code:
    -bash /usr/bin/<command>    can not exicute bin file
    I went into the the /bin dirrectry and recieved the same error message with every command I entered, even "Reboot".

Lightbulb

have u tried the cheat code available at wiki ??i think the problem will be solved.

scottsee

Yes, problem solved. My CD-rom for whatever reason is extrodenarly slow when booting. I have a suspision it is going out on me. I'm going to use the USB thumb drive on this laptop.. It's a bit bulky, but it will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by scottsee View Post
    I'm going to use the USB thumb drive on this laptop.. It's a bit bulky, but it will do just fine.
    Is your thumb drive more like a big-toe drive?
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze