Thread: configsave / configrestore - Update Needed

Just burned his ISO

Default configsave / configrestore - Update Needed

/usr/bin/configrestore would not work on BT2 final. There is a line:
    mo2dir $CONFFILE $CHANGES
    that does not work because there is no mo2dir command.

It's a simple fix. Just change the mo2dir to lzm2dir. The problem is that the restore needs to be run before the system is completely booted up.

My solution was to add a modified /usr/bin/configsave to a module that's loaded on bootup. "configrestore" is actually just a link to /usr/bin/configsave.

I've attached the module I'm using.
    BE SURE TO REMOVE THE .zip EXTENSION.
    I couldn't attache restoreFix.lzm so I had to add a ".zip" to the end.

thanks, very much appreciated

Just burned his ISO

Default Stick Drive problems...

First off..Hello all..

I have a PNY 1Gig stick..and couldn't seem to do a real install on it..
    Downloaded several HOW-To's none of them worked..most say this Stick will be seen as SDA...mine in QPARTED is seen as HDA2..Qparted can't touch it..says its busy..wont let me partition it/format it or in short touch it.

So, I formatted it and simply copied the BT..and BOOT folders over to it in Windows..ran the bootinstall.bat off the stick..tried it in notebook...

Like others have said had problems...an error jumped up..but it also suggested I copy the BT folder to my drive C on hd...so I did

Now booted up just fine..everything works but, I'm tired of making all my little changes manually....

ex....fix for Airoscript......mkdir /home/root

there are several of these little fixes....sound card fix..loading drivers for Orinoco card...ect..

Tried the above fixes mentioned in this thread...kinda worked..but didn't save the new dir..for Airoscript....

When I did the Configsave..the led on Stick didn't blink...but my HD light did...figured the changes were saved the the BT folder on HD..So rebooted to Windows..copied BT folder back to Stick...rebooted back to BT2..still no go...

BT1 used .MO files..lots of info on how to make these..
    Can I make a LZM or MO file to personalize BT2..???

If so please point me in the right direction !

In my case changing the line in configsave script makes some problems with kde restart,
    so another solution is to simply copy the module mo2dir from some previous versions
    BT2beta to /usr/bin directory, then the scripts are working again.

Some extra changes can be done with making lzm module.
    suppose you have put the new driver in /lib/kernel/driver.ko
    You have to create exact copy of the tree in the new directory that lzm treats as :/
    $mkdir /newmodule
    $mkdir /newmodule/lib
    $mkdir /newmodule/lib/kernel
    $cp -ax /lib/kernel/driver.ko /newmodule/lib/kernel/driver.ko
    $dir2lzm /newmodule /module.lzm
    if you want BT to load the module at the start copy module.lzm to the stick into /mnt/<yourstick> /bt/modules directory

Just burned his ISO

Default updating the usr/bin/configsave script

Quote Originally Posted by dino9832 View Post
    /usr/bin/configrestore would not work on BT2 final. There is a line:
    that does not work because there is no mo2dir command.

It's a simple fix. Just change the mo2dir to lzm2dir. The problem is that the restore needs to be run before the system is completely booted up.

My solution was to add a modified /usr/bin/configsave to a module that's loaded on bootup. "configrestore" is actually just a link to /usr/bin/configsave.

I've attached the module I'm using.
    BE SURE TO REMOVE THE .zip EXTENSION.
    I couldn't attache restoreFix.lzm so I had to add a ".zip" to the end.
    Hello to everybody. As far as I understand, once you modify the script you are working in the live filesytem. to make it pemanent, i gather you have to rebuild the .lzm image found in the /BT/base directory (i am working on a usb live installation). I did try to rebuild the usr.lzm file with the dir2lzm command, but the new file is not recognized at the following boot, ending up with a system with no /usr directory. I am sure I miss something.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

easiest thing to install on usb with save changes is to use balding parrot tutorial ....

or to wait a little for my new installer....(soon)
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

I'm unable to download the file attached in the first post (permission denied). It would be really helpful if someone could upload it somewhere else (rapidshare or whatever). Or maybe a mod/admin could give me permission to download attachments