Thread: Bt2final HD install, no "reset" after reboot

Just burned his ISO

Default Bt2final HD install, no "reset" after reboot

Hello all,

i have an annoying prob, anybody an idea?

I shot some drivers to crap and want to reboot or shutdown .h now
    but when i do so, after loading startx my desktop is just the same..
    means every window is as i left it, all konsoles open, etc...

i have no swap, could that be the problem? Can you please also explain very briefly how to get a swap? is it sufficent to create a swap or do i have to link it?
    for example to lilo? and would that be better than without?

any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by _loco View Post
    Hello all,

i have an annoying prob, anybody an idea?

I shot some drivers to crap and want to reboot or shutdown .h now
    but when i do so, after loading startx my desktop is just the same..
    means every window is as i left it, all konsoles open, etc...

i have no swap, could that be the problem? Can you please also explain very briefly how to get a swap? is it sufficent to create a swap or do i have to link it?
    for example to lilo? and would that be better than without?

any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!
    Yes you need swap yes. you have to turn it on i.e swapon. No it is detected on start up. if you leave somthing open on your desktop sometimes it comes back if your forcing the shutdown scripts. Just close every thing out before you power off. Problem Solved!

Just burned his ISO

Yes you need swap yes. you have to turn it on i.e swapon
    for what exactly do i need swap? system runs ok, just this problem. so i didnt get you right maybe, is the missing swap the problem?

one last short question:

how does swapon works?

thanks a lot purehate that you took time to reply my noobish question!

Developer

for what exactly do i need swap? system runs ok, just this problem. so i didnt get you right maybe, is the missing swap the problem?

one last short question:

how does swapon works?

thanks a lot purehate that you took time to reply my noobish question!
    Swap is a memory space for the stack to place memory process's. It works like ram. Don't quote me but I belive it was more for the older computers. Nowadays with so much ram swap is not needed as much. But I use it for good measure. 2gig ram 2 gig swap. I have had so much running before in a test that i started to get into my swap space. But to answer your question the swap has Zero to do with your desktop. Traditionally the swap was supposed to be double your ram. For example if you had 512 ram you would want 1024 of swap. after you create the swap partition on say /dev/sda4 you open a shell and type swapon /dev/sda4. Dont worry abou the n00bish question. I'm having a hard time with somthing Im n00bish at too. COMPIZ is kicking my ass.

Just burned his ISO

Just close every thing out before you power off. Problem Solved!
    well thanks again trying to make my live easier

i am afraid not.. expecting a bunch of probs since yesterday, actually try to write some automated attac scripts and my driver got f***ed up.. but no reboot is possible!! just shot everything (!!!) and after reboot it was all there again..

so i dont get this.. before it worked, i noticed because i had to switch to 4 desktops manually everytime.. now its different.. all 4 desktops are here and the crap too...

i suppose there on my sda6 there are the system files and some live files, is there a possibility to clean this?

lots of things hunged themselves so maybe thats the prob..

Developer

well thanks again trying to make my live easier

i am afraid not.. expecting a bunch of probs since yesterday, actually try to write some automated attac scripts and my driver got f***ed up.. but no reboot is possible!! just shot everything (!!!) and after reboot it was all there again..

so i dont get this.. before it worked, i noticed because i had to switch to 4 desktops manually everytime.. now its different.. all 4 desktops are here and the crap too...

i suppose there on my sda6 there are the system files and some live files, is there a possibility to clean this?

lots of things hunged themselves so maybe thats the prob..
    Uhhhhh.....you lost me but it seems to me a reinstall might be in order. You can wipe any partition with qtparted or fdisk or any number of other tools. I'm not sure what "clean" means although I know what "erase" means.

Just burned his ISO

i think i know now what happened..

last night after some serious hackink lol i fall into sleep and my wife, cute as she is closed my laptop lids.. so bt now starts from this "image" ar whatever...

Uhhhhh.....you lost me but it seems to me a reinstall might be in order.
    i dont like to kill things just because they dont work anymore.. prefer to fix them

any new ideas?

Developer

i think i know now what happened..

last night after some serious hackink lol i fall into sleep and my wife, cute as she is closed my laptop lids.. so bt now starts from this "image" ar whatever...

i dont like to kill things just because they dont work anymore.. prefer to fix them

any new ideas?
    I'm not sure that explanation holds water but if that was the case then all you have to do is set it up the way you want it and close the lid again to create a new image. Problem solved!

Just burned his ISO

set it up the way you want it and close the lid again to create a new image
    thats a nice one... hehe, i will try it!