Thread: How to use variables in other console-windows ??

Just burned his ISO

Default How to use variables in other console-windows ??

First I have to say that I'm absolutely new to linux .

Today I watched a movie-tutorial at milw0rm and the guy acting in this tut was using variables (like mac-address of AP, his own device, ESSID and so on) in other console-windows.

I know the command ("export AP=11:12:12") and in the other windows "$AP" for example, but this works for me only in the console where the variables were defined, not in the next console.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong with this ?

Chris

are you talking about creating aliases?
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Developer

I'm assuming the video your talking about is muts clientless wep attack. If so you'll notice that he already had the variables defined in another file hence the cat command. So you must create a file and place it in the path. In the future when you refer to a outside source such as a video in this case it would probably be smart to link us or tell us the name so that we can see WTF you are talking about. If you give a piss poor question you will get a piss poor answer.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    I'm assuming the video your talking about is muts clientless wep attack.
    You're right, that's what I was talking about

If so you'll notice that he already had the variables defined in another file hence the cat command. So you must create a file and place it in the path.
    Yepp, that happens at the beginning, in the first screen ("Shell-Konsole"), but after that, when he opens another window ("Shell-Konsole <3>") then he can use the $AP variable, too. And that's what I don't understand

In the future when you refer to a outside source such as a video in this case it would probably be smart to link us or tell us the name so that we can see WTF you are talking about. If you give a piss poor question you will get a piss poor answer.
    I'd like to post the link, but I was told not being allowed to post links as long as I have less than 15 posts . Anyway, here it is w w w.milw0rm.com/video/watch.php?id=59

Chris

If you launch the shell/terminal from within a shell where you've already set environment variables then they should persist.

I don't have BT with me right now but it works like this in Winblows:
    Code:
    C:\temp>set BLEH=BOB
    C:\temp>echo %BLEH%
    BOB
    C:\temp>cmd
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\temp>echo %BLEH%
    BOB
    C:\temp>exit
    C:\temp>
    Set a variable, echo it, launch another shell, echo the variable we set in the first, exit the additional shell. (In BT this would be export instead of set and $BLEH instead of %BLEH%)

I don't know if it exists in BT but you could probably also use the screen command.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

I do this BEFORE I run "startx". If done from the "root shell" before starting KDE, it will be included in the environment variables for all successive shells.

Also, common variables can be added to the files "/etc/profile" and "/root/.bashrc" (they both must have the additions). I have a variable called "MY" that is my spoofed MAC address. To use it, I just enter $MY.

If you don't do it BEFORE you enter KDE, any variables that you enter are only local variables and not the needed global type.

To get the variables into the "global" pile, I start BT2, log in, then run "airodump-ng" to locate the MAC address of the AP that I am pentesting, then enter the command:

Code:
    export AP=01:22:23:AB:CC:DD
    Now, AP is a global variable available to any program that wants it (via $AP). Do this with any other variable you want to be global.