Thread: Problems with username -passwd in Backtrack 5 R3 Kubuntu 12

Just burned their ISO

Default Problems with username -passwd in Backtrack 5 R3 Kubuntu 12

Hello,

I installed BT5 R3 64 then I updated at Kubuntu 12 when has finished updating in the screen of username and passwd I wrote root / toor
    but I have a message " Root logins are not allowed " ¿ how I can fix ?

A greeting and thanks so much

Default Re: Problems with username -passwd in Backtrack 5 R3 Kubuntu 12

Make sure you don't add additional repositories to Backtrack and don't upgrade to KUbuntu it will mess up your installation.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Good friend of the forums zimmaro's Avatar

hi
    if you used kde (version) You do NOT need to UPGRADE 12.04!! but .... read this to disable kpackage-kit:
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...=upgrade+12.04
    &&
    you should make a new usb-install
    bye

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

This is the second community member with this issue after upgrading the KDE version of distro...

Could you please post the /etc/apt/sources.list ?.....See if there are some repos to be avoided or are pointing out somewhere...The BT5 KDE version must be based in Kubuntu as the gnome version is based on Ubuntu..

The other thing is to use " aptitude hold " after installation, if any doubt, please refer to "man aptitude", this will make packages to be ignored in futures "aptitude soft-upgrade and/or full-upgrade" (which is the same to distro-upgrade, in the future will be depricated as distro-update).

Do not upgrade distro in BT5 r3 KDE 64 or 32 bit versions as it will upgrade metapackages...

As for your issue, you can reinstall BT5 as one option..The other would be to get a list of packages upgraded and install prior version with dpkg and aptitude dselect-upgrade. It might work... The list can be found in /var/log/apt/history.log...

As to the password, you have to recover the root password, you have 2 ways to do it:

1. Via Grub
    I do it this way in Debian, it should work:
    1.1 At boot manu, move to the first option and press "e".
    1.2 You will be taken to the next menu with some options: root, kernel, initrd, etc..This might differ from distro to distro, but very slightly. You need to move to " kernel /boot/vmlinuz......" option.
    1.3 Press "e" again on this option (kernel option)
    1.4 You will be editting the grub line you moved in the menu (kernel /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x-x.x.x root=UID or /dev/sdax ro)
    1.5 Now, the partition is as "ro" or Read Only...We can verify this editing the fstab file..It is "ro", this is the default. Now we change it to "rw" or Read Write partition..Why?, because we need to write the new password.
    We change the line "kernel /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x-x.x.x root=UID or /dev/sdax ro" to "kernel /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x-x.x.x root=UID or /dev/sdax rw init=/bin/bash" and press <enter>.
    1.6 You shold see the line already modify..Then type "b"
    1.7 Now you should be in the system as root ----------> root@user:/#
    1.8 Simply set password ----> passwd and press <enter>
    you will be asked for new password: type password or just <enter> to leave blank password
    Retype password: just confirm.
    Restart computer...
    Again, this might slightly vary from distro to distro, but basically is to set partition to boot from, to rw and append the init=bin/bash...

2. Via liveCD..This is the easiest way:
    2.1 boot with any debian-based distro, I always use Debian Testing, but in your case use Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10, etc...BT5 is based on Ubuntu 10.04.
    2.2 Mount parition (BT5 partition).
    2.3 Go to BT5 partition and edit /etc/shadow
    2.4 Using nano edit the file. You will see all users and their passwds encrypted
    2.5 Look for the tline with the "root" user in this format: -----> user:$6$DcfMPEmy$eKGFn7lDab2kUdmhFoZsTc47yPC4uzlWR eOc.n71Mhu1KPk3jZCivRS4OaI05/zOVxV9wAMSzdbrqvMdFt1Lx1:15418:0:99999:7:::
    fields:
    user ---------the user id, in this case has to be root, user name as created when installing distro, etc...In this case see the shadow file..You can choose root..
    passwd-----The Password Encrypted, it starts after "user:" and ends at the beginning of next field ":15418" in the example above.
    date of last passwd change -----
    etc....Please refer to "man shadow"...Sorry, I cannot remember the other 3 fields but are concerning about accnt expiration...
    2.5 Erase the passwd field (the encrypted one): In the example above would be -----> $6$DcfMPEmy$eKGFn7lDab2kUdmhFoZsTc47yPC4uzlWReOc.n 71Mhu1KPk3jZCivRS4OaI05/zOVxV9wAMSzdbrqvMdFt1Lx1
    Line should look this way: root::15418:0:99999:7:::
    2.6 Save (Ctl+O) and exit (Ctl+X).

I hope it helps.

Luck....

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by tXambe View Post
    Hello,

I installed BT5 R3 64 then I updated at Kubuntu 12 when has finished updating in the screen of username and passwd I wrote root / toor
    but I have a message " Root logins are not allowed " ¿ how I can fix ?

A greeting and thanks so much

I have the same problem, after updating i can't login using root / toor, any idea?

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abady711 View Post
    I have the same problem, after updating i can't login using root / toor, any idea?
    You need to reinstall, and please, do not upgrade in KDE version..By the way, BT5r3 Gnome does not have that issue.

I'm quite sure some dependencies were broken due to the upgrade.

Sorry.

Luck