Thread: virus on VM image

Just burned his ISO

Default virus on VM image

Im looking for confirmation that viruses are included on the VM image of backtrack 4.
    Avast showed 2 viruses included in the .rar file.

Developer

Default Re: virus on VM image

That is becasue its a distro full of what virus companies consider hack tools. I'm surprised there were only 2. There are no viruses on bt4 except the tools we have put there on purpose. Now if you didnt get the distro from the official download then I have no idea what somebody may have added.

If you think that there is something wrong with that VMware image, why wount you download BT4 iso image, and install it to VMware, or whatever u use.
    And if you download it from here, I think that it should be safe.

Does it tell what kind of virus there is, and what its name

First rule of thumb is to check the md5 hash of the vmware image/ISO you downloaded against what these fine developers have given us for their distro.

If it's not a match, download your image from this official site. Any viruses/trojans/backdoors you find with a virus scanner on the official ISO/vmware image from the Back|Track team were put there intentionally. These are tools for gaining and maintaining access to (atypically, from an white-hat standpoint) remote systems. If you are uncomfortable in the least with having Windoze viruses running amok on your linux system, perhaps hacking isn't for you.

Just my two cents,

xX_Spiidey_Xx
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.