Hello there!

I'm new to the BackTrack. Well, I have been messing with the distros since the times of Auditor, but now I'm getting really into it.

I have been using GNU/Linux from time to time, but I lack a solid base, so sometimes I get stuck.

Well, here's my problem. I've installed BT5r3 and updated lots of applications I regulary use without any big problems. But, once, I don't remember for what specific program, I was required to install Python2.7 so I did it, from the sources (yeah, I didn't know about the "make altinstall" thingy), and that was the start of my problems.

I discovered about pythonbrew, which is a tool for switching between Python version, but it never worked for me. I mean, it runs without errors, but it didn't change nothing, so I had to manually edit $PATH and $PYTHONPATH.

After many, many readings, research, testing, installing, uninstalling, reinstalling... I achieved a point where launching Python scripts from the console uses Python 2.6.5 (installed by default in BT5r3, and which I want to use), but, and here is the strange thing, launching Python scripts from the BackTrack menu throws errors like this:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "execute.py", line 8, in <module>
    from PyQt4 import QtGui,QtCore
ImportError: No module named PyQt4
I think the gnome command interpreter, or whatever way are the programs run by the GUI menu, is calling the wrong python version, because I got the same errors by using in the terminal:

Code:
root@bt:/pentest/web/sslstrip# python2.7 sslstrip.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "sslstrip.py", line 27, in <module>
    from twisted.web import http
ImportError: No module named twisted.web
I see two possible solutions here:

1. To return/restore Python to the original 2.6.5. What I was trying to do.
  2. To update to Python 2.7.3. What, as I have read, is going to bring me lots of difficults. Plus I think I would have to migrate all the modules.

I hope someone can help me, because this is being a big headache and I'm running out of ideas.

Thank you for reading!