Thread: Install BT5 on external HD with Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default Install BT5 on external HD with Ubuntu

Hi everyone !

Firstly, sorry for my English, it's not my mother language by far

I'm trying to install BT5 on my 1TB external hard drive. I'm on a mac so booting OS other than MacOS/Windows is rather difficult...

Currently : this is what's on my HD : link

sdc1 is an EFI partition containing grub so that I can boot on my Mac (without it it would be impossible).
    sdc2 is where Ubuntu is installed.
    sdc3 is a SWAP space.
    sdc3 is my Mac backup partition.

I tried to install backtrack in 100GB of the free space left, but I always had an error "Impossible to install GRUB in /dev/sdb" so I did not install the amorcer ("amorceur" in french). Even when backtrack was installed, I tried to repair the boot with boot-repair (as I did with Ubuntu), but the partition was not recognized. In fact, in Ubuntu, the partition where Backtrack was installed was shown as free space, but when I was on the backtrack live CD, files were well installed in the partition...

How can I install ? Could the order of the partition be responsible of this ?

Thanks in advance!

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: Install BT5 on external HD with Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Jo8192 View Post
    Hi everyone !

Firstly, sorry for my English, it's not my mother language by far

I'm trying to install BT5 on my 1TB external hard drive. I'm on a mac so booting OS other than MacOS/Windows is rather difficult...

Currently : this is what's on my HD : link

sdc1 is an EFI partition containing grub so that I can boot on my Mac (without it it would be impossible).
    sdc2 is where Ubuntu is installed.
    sdc3 is a SWAP space.
    sdc3 is my Mac backup partition.

I tried to install backtrack in 100GB of the free space left, but I always had an error "Impossible to install GRUB in /dev/sdb" so I did not install the amorcer ("amorceur" in french). Even when backtrack was installed, I tried to repair the boot with boot-repair (as I did with Ubuntu), but the partition was not recognized. In fact, in Ubuntu, the partition where Backtrack was installed was shown as free space, but when I was on the backtrack live CD, files were well installed in the partition...

How can I install ? Could the order of the partition be responsible of this ?

Thanks in advance!

The partitions are /dev/sdc and not /dev/sdb...Is it a typing error or you are trying to install in a non-existing device?..
    Last edited by maverik35; 03-10-2013 at 04:16 AM.

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Install BT5 on external HD with Ubuntu

No it's juste that I switched between Backtrack Live CD and Ubuntu and certainly changed the USB port where I connected the HD

I tried with another hard drive, now the backtrack partition is recognized by Ubuntu but I can't install GRUB with boot-repair. Here is the error :

"You installed on sdc2 a Linux version that is not compatible with the EFI.It is probably incompatible with your computer. Please install a system compatible with the EFI. For instance, Ubuntu-Secure-Remix-64bit and Ubuntu-64bit sont compatibles avec l'EFI."

I tried the reparation with Ubuntu-Secure-Remix-64bit and Ubuntu-Secure-Remix-32bit. I think I installed the 32bits version of Backtrack.

An idea on how to solve this ?

Thanks in advance