Thread: Backtrack 5R3 on Surface Pro

Just burned their ISO

Question Backtrack 5R3 on Surface Pro

Hey everyone!

Here's the situation. If you don't already know, Surface Pro is UEFI only, no legacy boot. So booting the Backtrack 5R3 ISO from USB is a no go. I was able to hack out the EFI bootloader from Ubuntu 12.10 and get to a console in BT5 but with many errors along the way. To be perfectly honest, I have very little idea how EFI works just yet. But I am trying to learn since Microsoft has crammed it down our throats.

I can boot Ubuntu 12.10 just fine on my Surface so I know how to make the Surface boot something other than Win 8. Ultimately, my goal would be to dual boot BT5R3 and Win 8 making it a very productive and yet versatile field tool. I've spent about 2 weeks tinkering with this little guy. I've considered installing the BT toolkit onto Ubuntu, but then I'm missing many of the kernel optimizations that go along with the legit release. I don't want to half-heart this one.

Thus far, I have a VMWare image working wonderfully, but the point is the the low-level hardware access and seeing if the Marvell Avastar 350 can be put into rfmon making it a formidable mobile penetration testing platform.

Anyway. Anyone else with a Surface Pro or have created a live USB that is EFI friendly?

Regards,

BP.

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Backtrack 5R3 on Surface Pro

I was able to get BackTrack 5 R3 to work on my surface pro.
    I installed VMWare player, downloaded the virtual machine and used a USB wireless adapter I happen to have lying around. (Encore Electronics ENUWI-G2 | 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter)
    Connected the USB wireless adapter to the virtual machine, booted it up and it worked perfectly. I cracked my work WPA2 network in seconds (it's ok, I'm the IT guy and I had to add our wireless passkey to a password list otherwise it would never find it)

Anywho, for anyone who want's to know if you can run BackTrack on the Microsoft Surface Pro, yes you can. You just need to use a virtual machine and a USB wireless adapter.

Just burned their ISO

Thumbs up Re: Backtrack 5R3 on Surface Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mINdwARp View Post
    I was able to get BackTrack 5 R3 to work on my surface pro.
    I installed VMWare player, downloaded the virtual machine and used a USB wireless adapter I happen to have lying around. (Encore Electronics ENUWI-G2 | 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter)
    Connected the USB wireless adapter to the virtual machine, booted it up and it worked perfectly. I cracked my work WPA2 network in seconds (it's ok, I'm the IT guy and I had to add our wireless passkey to a password list otherwise it would never find it)

Anywho, for anyone who want's to know if you can run BackTrack on the Microsoft Surface Pro, yes you can. You just need to use a virtual machine and a USB wireless adapter.
    Well yes, I'm completely aware of that aspect of it, and I suppose USB passthrough is always an option, but I want to see Backtrack running on the bare slate (as it were) and see if that Marvell adapter is any good. I know it's capable of RFMon because rfmon works brilliantly with MS Netmon 3.4 on Win8. I'd like not to have to have any external devices in order to get it to work either. So essentially, I'm asking if anyone knows how to make an EFI bootable persistent USB key.

Thanks for your info though. It's good to know of a good wifi adapter model that will work with passthrough on the surface.