Thread: Installing Backtrack2 to usb from winxp

Just burned his ISO

Question Installing Backtrack2 to usb from winxp

Okay, i used the tutorial for installing backtrack to a usb device (found in the documentation part of the site)... and not all went well... it tried to boot to my stick then gave me a random string of 10 letters that were mostly punctuation.

so i tried something else... i booted up windows, formatted the usb disk, and copyed the contents of the backtrack2 disk to my usb drive(which is 1mb in size)... then used bootinstall.bat(in /boot) to make the drive bootable.... and it booted... but then it came to a "fatal error" saying it couldnt find the folder "BT"... i checked and BT is on the usb drive so i dont understand whats going on... is there a way to specify exactly where "BT" is? or is there a way to fix this?

if not i guess i try again...

cheers to anyone who can help...

Jamey

1mb in size? I dont quite understand because the content of the BT2 disk is around 700 mb.
    Well you could do it automatically by using this program:
    www DOT forums.remote-exploit DOT org/showthread.php?p=27171#post27171
    Or you could properly copy the BT2 files inside the iso to your usb.
    Also, Check the MD5 of your iso to make sure it isnt corrupt.
    - Poul Wittig

Either follow this tutorial, which you can leave out the partitions you don't need, and resize the ones you do to fit your needs.

OR

Use this simple installer, which will give you a basic BT install on a USB stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathray View Post
    1mb in size? I dont quite understand because the content of the BT2 disk is around 700 mb.
    I'm pretty sure he meant 1GB.

I'm also pretty sure no manufacturer ever made a USB key as small as 1MB (MegaByte) let alone 1mb (megabit).
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

hah sorry got my units messed up i did mean 1GB.. i found the noobs install tool for installing it to a memory stick and realised the problem was that my laptop wasnt easily compatible... sorry a bit of a wasted topic...