Thread: Bluetooth comparisons

Hybrid View

Default Bluetooth comparisons

Hi, i have searche the forums and can find a few references to: Linksys Bluetooth USB Adapter - USBBT100

However, I was wondering if anyone had any advice/tips on the qualities of different bluetooth adapters?

Forexample, the aircrack-ng documents have loads of great info on which is the best wirelss card to buy...[i have opted for the Proxim WD8470], I am looking for much the same thing but for BLUETOOTH adapters.

Or should i just skipp all that and go for the Linksys Bluetooth USB Adapter - USBBT100?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcai8rw2 View Post
    Hi, i have searche the forums and can find a few references to: Linksys Bluetooth USB Adapter - USBBT100

However, I was wondering if anyone had any advice/tips on the qualities of different bluetooth adapters?

Forexample, the aircrack-ng documents have loads of great info on which is the best wirelss card to buy...[i have opted for the Proxim WD8470], I am looking for much the same thing but for BLUETOOTH adapters.

Or should i just skipp all that and go for the Linksys Bluetooth USB Adapter - USBBT100?

Thanks
    Well, i didn't really have any problems with any of maybe ten or so different bluetooth usb adapters i have tried.There were always a couple of issues i had in mind when testing the adapters.First, the signal range.Second, the data exchange rate.Third, security.

Now, in BT2 i'm primarily using usb bluetooth adapter to connect to bluetooth GPS thingy (for Kismet GPS feature).I'm living in an 8 stories apartment building on the first floor, and, if used inside, expected number of GPS satellites in view would of course be none.So i had to put GPS gadget out of the window (professionaly taped to a drum stick ).This of course raised the first two issues-signal range and data rate, which are obviously interpolated(hope this is the right word...).
    The window is approx. 9 meters away from my laptop.The best signal and data rates contest winner was D-Link DBT-122 (price:20 euro).It works well with all of the bluetooth software in BT2.In addition, DBT-122 is small, have 128-bit data encryption, and, if anyone cares, works within VMWare 6 as well.

So finally, my suggestion would be: don't buy anything yet, google, try as much adapters as you can-borrow them from friends or whatever-, find the one that best suits your needs.Then decide.

Default thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NaZirCon View Post
    Well, i didn't really have any problems with any of maybe ten or so different bluetooth usb adapters i have tried.There were always a couple of issues i had in mind when testing the adapters.First, the signal range.Second, the data exchange rate.Third, security.

Now, in BT2 i'm primarily using usb bluetooth adapter to connect to bluetooth GPS thingy (for Kismet GPS feature).I'm living in an 8 stories apartment building on the first floor, and, if used inside, expected number of GPS satellites in view would of course be none.So i had to put GPS gadget out of the window (professionaly taped to a drum stick ).This of course raised the first two issues-signal range and data rate, which are obviously interpolated(hope this is the right word...).
    The window is approx. 9 meters away from my laptop.The best signal and data rates contest winner was D-Link DBT-122 (price:20 euro).It works well with all of the bluetooth software in BT2.In addition, DBT-122 is small, have 128-bit data encryption, and, if anyone cares, works within VMWare 6 as well.

So finally, my suggestion would be: don't buy anything yet, google, try as much adapters as you can-borrow them from friends or whatever-, find the one that best suits your needs.Then decide.

OK! thanks for that very useful infor Nazircon! I guess the compatibility of bluetooth dongles isn;t as picky as the compatibility of wireless cards.

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

1) compatible with BlueZ stack
    2) CSR chipset with BlueCore4
    3) using externalflash (for later firmware upgrade)(if necessary)