Thread: BURG monumental mistake.

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default BURG monumental mistake.

Well, here I am again. This time I have an unfortunately serious question.

I am currently dual-booted (vista/btr3) to my main machine, which, might I add, I use for my job.

Anyway, I wanted my boot menu to look pretty. I installed BRUG via the terminal, after following some online tutorials.

After getting it set up, I took the final step and restarted my computer. Upon boot, I get the "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions."

Being new to linux, I only understand that this is the GRUB command line.

Again, as soon as my laptop boots, I am entered into this command prompt, and have no option to boot into my old OS's. I have gone through pages upon pages of Google searches trying to find an answer, and none have worked thus far.

I cannot enter either OS AT ALL, and am becoming increasingly frustrated with this. Would anyone out there have any idea what to enter at this GRUB command to get into an OS and resume my life? I do, in advance, apologize for my 'noviceness' in this matter. But I am, at this point, desperate to fix this issue.
    Thank you.

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: BURG monumental mistake.

I am quite new to linux also, but one of the first things I would try is grabbing some tools like the trinity rescue kit or ultimate boot cd from a site and get the universal usb installer from pendrivelinux, try at it booting from the usb... then redo grub from one of the rescue kits.

you're pretty much out of options otherwise.

I'm not overly proficient with the GRUB CLI, but have you tried typing "boot"?
    Pretty sure it should boot the last used OS... Could be wrong though. Anyone feel free to correct me.

EDIT:
    After 5 minutes of googling, found this:
    http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/...LI%20Mode.html
    Last edited by daedalus1776; 02-21-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Just burned their ISO

thanks for your response.

I had already tried that option, but no luck.

I did, however, fix my problem. Ended up booting with the Live CD, opening a terminal and entering

Code:
    fdisk -l
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
    update-grub
    removed the disk and it booted fine. Had to to a restore point in Vista but other than, running like a champ.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Yes, you had to recover grub..You did it the way it shoulb be...

The problem you had was that no grub.cfg was abailable, so grub got into CLI mode...You can run and boot any OS from there (CLI mode) using commands..So no need to worry..

When grub does not finds grub.cfg file (which by the way is generated by update-grub), it goes into CLI mode..It has the chance to use TAB to complete possible options to boot your OS..Like searching the vmlinuz, the kernel, the partiton, it even accept insmod and lspci commands..

Good you fixed your problem.

Just burned their ISO

I see. That is good to know for future reference if needed.

Thank you all for the help. If any of you DO by chance know of a free product that is not BURG or grub-customizer that can make the login a bit prettier than the standard black/white grub menu, feel free to suggest.

Thanks again.

I have a doubt, it seems to me like you did something wrong during BURG installation. But I might be wrong, though.

Would you please post how you installed?..

And just for the record, BURG needs to be applied to HDD and NOT to a partition...MBR is in the first 512mb of HDD, and not in partitions..Sorry if I'm being basic...

I would like to point to something I found to be very useful with editing the grub. I know it can be daunting at first, especially if you want to rearrange the OS boot orders or even change their descriptions. A simple and intuitive GUI based way is a little program called grub customizer. h t t p s: / /launchpad.net/grub-customizer
    In a terminal,
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install grub-customizer
    After which you can access it from start->settings->grub customizer

Ops I just read, you didnt want grub-customizer. I believe there is a way to add a graphical background. Here is a good writeup I found for grub http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...mage-for-grub/
    and here are a few pre-made to give an idea http://schragehome.de/splash/
    Last edited by charonsecurity; 02-27-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Well, I'm completely againt "prety" "wow" "Oh my god, beautifull" graphical Grub..Let's not loose perspective, this excelent software (BT5) is a pentest, audit software..

And it is already "beautifull" for what it does..It is incredible.

This is my very own personal stand point of view and I respect other's point of view.

Luck.