Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wireless HCL Thread

Just burned his ISO SuspectZero's Avatar

Default Re: Wireless HCL Thread

Quote Originally Posted by digitelle View Post
    Atheros AR5B93 - managed and monitor modes work great, possibly faster than the AWUS036H but I haven't timed it.
    Thanks for that tip.

Intel 3945ABG works beautifully. injection, managed, monitor mode all work.
    Take What You Can, Give Nothing Back...

I spent some time this evening testing six USB wireless cards and want to share my results. I know I'm covering old ground with some of these but I've included relative signal strength in my data.

I guess I should describe my test set-up, while not scientific by any means, it is consistent. I used my POS internal Intel 4965/5xxx wireless card as the test AP in the aireplay-ng -9 -i <interface> <test interface> scenario. I started each interface in monitor mode on channel 9, which is the same channel my test AP, "pwn target biotch" is on. In each test, I measured the power reading for pwn test biotch and noted the results of the injection test suite. pwn target biotch was approximately 10 meters from my test location, on the other side of a wall.

The six USB cards I tested are as follows:

1) Alpha AWUS036H
    2) Linksys WUSB54G
    3) TP-Link TP-WN321G
    4) EDiMAX EW-731USG
    5) Hawking HWUG1
    6) Alpha UBDo-G

A side note on the Alpha UBDo-G; this thing is a real beast! It's made for maritime use, is waterproof and has a mast antenna that is approximately 1.5 meters long. It's blasts! It's definitely not for wardriving, unless you're on a boat or in a 18 wheeler truck!

The results:

Code:
    Alpha AWUS036H
    pwn target biotch power -36.87
    Attacks -0 thru -7 OK
    Code:
    Linksys WUSB54G
    pwn target biotch power -36.33
    Attacks -0/-1 (OPN & PSK)/-2/-3/-4/-6 OK
    Attacks -5/-7 Failed
    Code:
    TP-Link TL-WN321G
    pwn target biotch power -37.33
    Attacks -5/-7 Failed
    Code:
    EDiMAX EW-731USG
    pwn target biotch power -37.10
    Attacks -5/-7 Failed
    Code:
    Hawking HWUG1
    pwn target biotch power -38.23
    Attacks -5/-7 Failed
    Code:
    Alpha UBDo-G
    pwn target biotch power -35.99
    Attacks -0 thru -7 OK
    Here's a screen shot from that last test. Note how all the APs in the area got 100%, even if off-channel.

Link to image

One note about the failed Attacks -5/-7 on all of the cards except the Alphas, the documentation from Aircrack-ng says that while these test attacks may fail in this scenario, it doesn't mean they will necessarily fail in real world situations. I'm going play around with the ones that failed Attacks -5/-7 in this test scenario to see if they do in fact succeed in full scale attacks.

Overall, my favorite is the Alpha AWUS036H because of it's performance and small size. I really like the Alpha UBDo-G because it really hauls a$$, but it's not very practical.
    Last edited by hypervista; 03-24-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by hypervista View Post
    I spent some time this evening testing six USB wireless cards and want to share my results. I know I'm covering old ground with some of these but I've included relative signal strength in my data.

I guess I should describe my test set-up, while not scientific by any means, it is consistent. I used my POS internal Intel 4965/5xxx wireless card as the test AP in the aireplay-ng -9 -i <interface> <test interface> scenario. I started each interface in monitor mode on channel 9, which is the same channel my test AP, "pwn target biotch" is on. In each test, I measured the power reading for pwn test biotch and noted the results of the injection test suite. pwn target biotch was approximately 10 meters from my test location, on the other side of a wall.

The six USB cards I tested are as follows:

1) Alpha AWUS036H
    2) Linksys WUSB54G
    3) TP-Link TP-WN321G
    4) EDiMAX EW-731USG
    5) Hawking HWUG1
    6) Alpha UBDo-G

A side note on the Alpha UBDo-G; this thing is a real beast! It's made for maritime use, is waterproof and has a mast antenna that is approximately 1.5 meters long. It's blasts! It's definitely not for wardriving, unless you're on a boat or in a 18 wheeler truck!

The results:

Code:
    Alpha AWUS036H
    pwn target biotch power -36.87
    Attacks -0 thru -7 OK
    Code:
    Linksys WUSB54G
    pwn target biotch power -36.33
    Attacks -5/-7 Failed
    Code:
    TP-Link TL-WN321G
    pwn target biotch power -37.33
    Attacks -5/-7 Failed
    Code:
    EDiMAX EW-731USG
    pwn target biotch power -37.10
    Attacks -5/-7 Failed
    Code:
    Hawking HWUG1
    pwn target biotch power -38.23
    Attacks -5/-7 Failed
    Code:
    Alpha UBDo-G
    pwn target biotch power -35.99
    Attacks -0 thru -7 OK
    Here's a screen shot from that last test. Note how all the APs in the area got 100%, even if off-channel.

Link to image

One note about the failed Attacks -5/-7 on all of the cards except the Alphas, the documentation from Aircrack-ng says that while these test attacks may fail in this scenario, it doesn't mean they will necessarily fail in real world situations. I'm going play around with the ones that failed Attacks -5/-7 in this test scenario to see if they do in fact succeed in full scale attacks.

Overall, my favorite is the Alpha AWUS036H because of it's performance and small size. I really like the Alpha UBDo-G because it really hauls a$$, but it's not very practical.
    Thanks for posting your results! I am thinking abot getting the UBDo-G... but is it that much better than the AWUS036H?

Just burned his ISO

I have a Samsung R710 laptop with Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100AGN REV=0x54

Monitor mode is good. Injection also works. But if I try to fake-auth with wpa_supplicant or with aireplay-ng injection capability is gone.

This is quite interesting bug, because I had the card working perfectly with an older fedora kernel (patched). Now several things have changed: iwlwifi driver, mac80211 stack and even the driver's firmware. In general you could do wonderful things with this card, but unfortunately tries to fake-auth makes it a silent one. However there should be a fix available, but I haven't tried it.

Just burned his ISO

I just got my Alfa AWUS036H today. Plugged it in and it works as described. Injection work as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

Question: Are you able to adjust the TX power on this adapter? Mine is set at 27 by default and I can't raise it.

iwlist wlan0 txpower
    Current Tx-Power-27dBm (501 mW)

I thouoght that this card was rated as a 1000 mW...... If I try to increase the TX:
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower 28
    ERROR for wireless request "Set Tx Power" (8B26) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 : Invalid argument.

Anyone have any ideas?

Just burned his ISO

Broadcom BCM4313 - was not able to put into monitor mode in gerix wifi cracker.

I assume that also means no injection.

On this page, the 4312 works. It's just one number off.

I heard it was the driver? Not sure.

Noob here. Willing to test anything to make this a complete post. Just tell me what to do.

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

I have an AWUS036H & got the same results. My HWUG1A will also do monitor & injection out of the box with no problems. This is on a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.

Side note on the HWUG1A, I found Hawking tech support worse than useless They don't support any o/s but windows, and were wrong about the chipset. Support told me the chipset was a ralink 2700, but when I entered the fcc id at http://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/ & looked at the internal photo, you can clearly read RT2571WF on the chip.

Just burned his ISO

Is it working for
    Dell Wireless WLAN 1501 Half Mini-Card

BackTrack 4 R2 Release ISO can not find my wireless when I write airmon-ng... I need a special driver or something like that?

what can i do?

Hey im new to bt4 and would like to know if my laptop

Toshiba satellight A665-S5170 with the
    intel centrino advanced-n 6250 agn will work?

if so can someone post the drivers and how i install im new to this so i dont know much about .tar.gz things lol ):

Just burned his ISO

Hello,

I recently purchased a HP G62-465DX Notebook PC which has a Ralink RT5390 802.11/b/g/n WiFi Adapter. I'm new to backtrack but have read a few tutorials here and have watch some of the videos.
    Now I booted up bt4 r2 but my WiFi card was not detected I did iwconfig to see if it was listed so I could start airmon-ng but it was not in the list.

I was wondering if anyone has tested this card and if so how would I get the drivers?
    Also I would like to get your opinions on whats the more suitable WiFi usb adapter for pentesting?

Thank you in advance,
    Joaquin

Other info:

RAM: 4 gigs
    Processor: Intel Core i3 370 @ 2.40GHz
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123