Thread: Installing Backtrack 5 R3 on a New partition

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Post Installing Backtrack 5 R3 on a New partition

I am facing problem when I'm trying to install backtrack 5 on my newly created partition.

Well to elaborate. I'm using windows 7 and want to create a dual boot. I've formatted one of my partition to install backtrack 5 R3 on that partition. I'm using a USB Stick to boot. But at the install Backtrack 5 r3. But it is not getting the partitions it is only getting 465.xx GB which is my full harddisk volume and 100MB windows loader. I searched alot but couldn't find any solution to make it work.

I use windows Disk management to create that partition earlier.

That will be a great help if anyone can provide a full guide to do that (much appreciate if can be done with screenshots). I think there is some more people facing same problem. I searched all over the forums but couldn't get the problem solved(maybe there is some flaws in my search). Thank you in advance.

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Installing Backtrack 5 R3 on a New partition

if the 100mb partition is available, so you have create an primary partition like that.
    maybe your problem solving.( sorry bad eng )

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

If it is UEFI, you will end up with a lots of problems trying to install any linux distro. Although there is a "work-around" solution, it is not easy.

If not UEFI (GPT partition), I strongly suggest NOT to use any windows partitioner or partition creator applications. Use gparted, is included in the USB live you are booting from.

You need to create 2 partitions: one with ext4 filesystem and the other one as swap. Not only one..The swap can be a 1gb partition.

Then, BT5 will be able to see them both.

Just burned their ISO

Thanks maverik35 for your help. I'll try this out I'm Downloading gparted now.

Just burned their ISO

Hay!
    I installed BT5R3 on a partition Dual Boot with Windows 7 ! It was all well! I restarted it in BT and in Windows 7 everything was fine ! But next day when i restarted My PC again there was nothing!

My PC isn't loading anything it just get stuck in black window with a cursor blinking and nothing else!

i'm sorry i'm posting it in old thread !Actually i'm new here and i couldn't find how to make a new post!

Jinkazama. Hopefully this is a minor issue. I've heard this happen before. Can't quite remember what the solution was, but it sounds like Grub might be corrupt or perhaps a modeset issue?.

First I've read somewhere that holding down shift during the first boot might fix the problem, so give that a quick try. (Not sure though) If that doesn't work.. I recommend, to use a LiveCD/USB version to boot from. That way you can ensure your drive is still intact, if you see everything then it should be a simple matter of fixing grub. (You can backup important files to another USB to be safe like docs, pics etc) If your installation is intact then try adding
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset acpi=force"
    to the grub file, "pico /etc/default/grub".. run "update-grub"

Assuming the Grub is corrupt, then
    From the LiveCD/USB in a terminal window, go ahead and type "fdisk -l" to see your partitions. From there, mount the primary drive, example "mount /dev/sda2 /mnt". Install Grub, "grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda" .. and finally update grub, "update-grub".. Then restart. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

Let us know