Thread: Metasploit: The penetration Tester's Guide, Quick question about the webApp section

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default Metasploit: The penetration Tester's Guide, Quick question about the webApp section

Hey all,

I am currently at the end of Appendix A trying to finish up building the webApp so that I can start cruising through the book.

I have everything setup correctly (I believe, because I have checked it a couple times), but when I get to the section (numbered 10) where I
    have to enter ASPNET and search, I get an error telling me that the user or group does not exist.

I am thinking maybe I am in the wrong spot or I screwed something up in saving the table.

The spot I am at is, I have expanded the security tab, then inside that I expanded the Logins tab. I right click the same login tab that expanded and selected
    "new login"
    Now I am in the "Login - new" window, I click the search button and in the text area labeled "Enter the object name to select" I put "ASPNET" just like the book says.
    Then I click Check Names and get an error message...

No idea what I am doing wrong, hopefully someone out there could help me out.

Any help would be appreciated and If you need more information I'll try to provide it.

Thanks

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Metasploit: The penetration Tester's Guide, Quick question about the webApp secti

Quote Originally Posted by Rossay View Post
    Hey all,

I am currently at the end of Appendix A trying to finish up building the webApp so that I can start cruising through the book.

I have everything setup correctly (I believe, because I have checked it a couple times), but when I get to the section (numbered 10) where I
    have to enter ASPNET and search, I get an error telling me that the user or group does not exist.

I am thinking maybe I am in the wrong spot or I screwed something up in saving the table.

The spot I am at is, I have expanded the security tab, then inside that I expanded the Logins tab. I right click the same login tab that expanded and selected
    "new login"
    Now I am in the "Login - new" window, I click the search button and in the text area labeled "Enter the object name to select" I put "ASPNET" just like the book says.
    Then I click Check Names and get an error message...

No idea what I am doing wrong, hopefully someone out there could help me out.

Any help would be appreciated and If you need more information I'll try to provide it.

Thanks
    I hit the same problem working through the same book today, and even came across THIS post looking for a solution. After thinking about it a bit longer, I realized that it was looking for a user named ASPNET. So I added a new user to the windows XP machine named ASPNET and it worked after that. Hope this helps you!

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Metasploit: The penetration Tester's Guide, Quick question about the webApp secti

Quote Originally Posted by johnconnor1997 View Post
    I hit the same problem working through the same book today, and even came across THIS post looking for a solution. After thinking about it a bit longer, I realized that it was looking for a user named ASPNET. So I added a new user to the windows XP machine named ASPNET and it worked after that. Hope this helps you!
    Actually it's completely unnecessary. There are a few problems in the source code that need to be corrected for the WebApp to work as described in the text. I've contacted the publishers about it so lets see if they fix it. If not, I'll post the code here later.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by johnconnor1997 View Post
    Actually it's completely unnecessary. There are a few problems in the source code that need to be corrected for the WebApp to work as described in the text. I've contacted the publishers about it so lets see if they fix it. If not, I'll post the code here later.

I would appreciate it a lot if you would post that code as soon as possible. I would like to continue my work through the book. Thanks ahead of time, man.