Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: How to convert BT2 to slackware 12 HDD install

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

lol I thought this post would be dead after the release of bt3 I cant see why there would be a problem ?? BOFH139

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_GrEeN View Post

Fix your config files. Some of the config files in /etc are going to need your attention. You'll find the new incoming config files on your system with the ".new" extension. You may need to fill these in with information from your old config files and then move them over. So go to /etc and check around for files with duplicates of them with .new added. Load them both up with kwrite and if the old file contains some setting you need to keep move them across, delete the old file and delete .new of the new files name. Do this also in the /etc/rc.d folder.
    Hi Dr_GrEeN

In this step i can use the commands CP and MV for do this operation???????

I wouldn't just in case you miss something out from the old cfg.

Question

I wouldn't just in case you miss something out from the old cfg.
    ok!!!
    But now i have another problem, at this point of your thread

**** patch p1 < bootsplash-3.1.6-2.6.22.diff *****

i have the following response

patch: **** Can't find file p1 : No such file or directory

What is the p1 file???
    Thanks very much for your possible answer

Just burned his ISO

lol I thought this post would be dead after the release of bt3 I cant see why there would be a problem ?? BOFH139
    Just a quick question for you. I am using BT3 and went through the steps to upgrade not sure if i missed something or what so i am again doing a clean install. but after i upgraded the packages and went through /etc and /rc.d i had errors rebooting at that point initial went fine. not sure what I did. any suggestions? is there a tool that I can use other than diff to compare the files to see what changed or what was deleted and add it back to the .new file?

Developer

bt3 is based on slackware 12.0 so I'm not sure why you upgraded. You have probably hosed yourself to be totally honest. The only thing that we did this for was to run compize and get dual core support with a newer kernel. I would start over.

To answer you question though you can use the diff command

bt~#diff file.txt file.txt

Yep much easier to start again justdavid and just as Pureh@te said now bt3 is here there's no need to upgrade. If you would like to update something in particular than don't hesitate to ask and I'l see if I can point you in the right direction.

Just burned his ISO

i used diff and the reason i am upgrading to a full distro is to step away from slax and use full slackware i figured out what i did wrong. i didnt have a problem with pixmap on the first initial upgrade but the second one i did and i didnt have it downloaded. and instead of just using diff i am going to use kdiff3 so i can just merge the changes after all that i am upgrading to the 2.6.24.4 kernel. then what i am doing is installing Xfce and going to configure it to look like flux.. Maybe i am doing much more work than i need to but there is method to my madness.
    thanks for all the help though i really appreciate it

Does this merge BT with Slack? Just wonding because I love Linux as an everyday OS but I want to be able to also have all the awesome-ness that is BT too.

Yes this merges the two .

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast