Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to convert BT2 to slackware 12 HDD install

Sorry to bump this thread up but what is the advantage of installing bt2 and then upgrading instead of installing slack12 and then installing all the software I need?

Developer

well....
    A. it is easier to install slackware 12.0 in one go rather than the 300+ softwares in backtrack
    B. more importantly alot of bt is dependent on shared libraries and links and other things that unless you are a pro at linux you will still be working on when bt 5 comes out.

However if all your using is the aircrack suite then by all means do it the other way.

basic administration of bt2 is the same as that of slack 12 am i correct? i see that it still has rc.inet1.conf, rc.wireless.conf, etc... Which part of administrating bt2 differs from slack12?

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    well....
    B. more importantly alot of bt is dependent on shared libraries and links and other things that unless you are a pro at linux you will still be working on when bt 5 comes out.
    you mean dependencies? lol, the thing I dislike about slackware is the lack of dependency resolution and I have to hunt down those packages 1 by 1.

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

basic administration of bt2 is the same as that of slack 12 am i correct? i see that it still has rc.inet1.conf, rc.wireless.conf, etc... Which part of administrating bt2 differs from slack12?
    Nothing BT2 is based in slackware 11 so its basicly the same, just with loads of fixes ETC.

you mean dependencies? lol, the thing I dislike about slackware is the lack of dependency resolution and I have to hunt down those packages 1 by 1.
    Slackware 12 is just about the same as most other linux distro's it has software to get those dependencies for you. Ans slackware guys have been about since the 80's so people must get on with it

I have to say Dr. Gre3n, superb work! I am very VERY tempted to do this, the only thing that is preventing me to do so is that, knowing my luck..once I install this and get it all up and going...BT3 could be released very soon. Is there any point in downloading this, applying it, when BT3 is on its way?

What do you think?

Again, great tut!

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by The_Denv View Post
    I have to say Dr. Gre3n, superb work! I am very VERY tempted to do this, the only thing that is preventing me to do so is that, knowing my luck..once I install this and get it all up and going...BT3 could be released very soon. Is there any point in downloading this, applying it, when BT3 is on its way?

What do you think?

Again, great tut!
    Bt3 beta is coming in early 2008. There are some newer tools that run on slackware 12.0 better but really this was just a fun project. "PIMP my backtrack". However as muts said compiz makes you "Pwn like a rockstar"

Thank s The_Denv! and as purehate said it was just a fun project to get our teeth sunk into plus I started this project to get a couple of things like dual core support and a few bugs fixed that were buggin me. And it gets boring pentesting all the time

Now I've done sooo much work now on my hdd install its probably working better than bt3 core would work on my pc because its been customized for my pc.

When bt3 is released I'm going to download it and try it and probably just copy the tools across to my build.

I would have ago anyway because it teaches you a little more about linux. And if it all goes wrong you have a prebuilt CD .

Yep and know I'm pwning like axel rose lol

hi, could someone explain why are the steps necessary to upgrade to slack12? I mean what are the reasons for doing each step?

hi, could someone explain why are the steps necessary to upgrade to slack12? I mean what are the reasons for doing each step?
    What do you mean? Why are these steps necessary lol because thats the way its done lol if you wana learn more read up on the subject.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast