Thread: window/exec payload

Just burned his ISO

Default window/exec payload

Is it possible to use the windows/exec payload to start a proccess on the target machine? I have been trying to launch calculator on a Windows XP SP2 machine with this payload but have not been able to get it to launch. The only command I have been able to successfully run on the target machine is taskkill. What what the command string for the payload look like if I wanted to start calculator or notepad?? In the end I really want to use this payload to execute a bat file on the target system.

Default Re: window/exec payload

what kind of error you get when trying to execute other commands?? you should be able to execute any command, including calc.exe and xxx.bat
    what are you using? msfpayload + msfencode to create an executable?
    an exploit + the payload??

Just burned his ISO

I am using the exploit ms08_067_netapi exploit along with the windows/exec payload to try and launch calc or notepad on a Windows SP 2/3 target. After exploiting the target, I can see the calc or notepad process was created in taskmanager, but I dont actually see calc or notpad running on the desktop. I have tried using "cmd /c calc.exe" and "calc.exe" as the command option for the windows/exe payload, both have the same behavior. Any ideas?

Just burned his ISO

Another thing that I noticed is that the processes that I start with the CMD option of the payload end up being owned by the SYSTEM user. Could that be why I am not getting a display?

Quote Originally Posted by bhaveshbp View Post
    Another thing that I noticed is that the processes that I start with the CMD option of the payload end up being owned by the SYSTEM user. Could that be why I am not getting a display?
    yes, that explains it.

Just burned his ISO

The only way I have been able to spawn processes and have it displayed is using a meterpreter shell, migrating to explorer.exe, and then launching the process. I would really like to use the windows/exec payload because its much smaller in size. Is it possible to do so?

well im not sure if it's gonna work but you can try a shell payload and commands like runas, anway why do you need the user to see what you're doing??? if you REALLY need it to do that you can always create your own payload, one that will drop privilleges and then run you calc, i just don't see the point of doing it.