Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How to fix black screen after startx in Backtrack 5 R3 (permanent)

  1. #1
    Just burned their ISO
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default How to fix black screen after startx in Backtrack 5 R3 (permanent)

    Hi all im new to Backtrack and by no means an expert on linux as i have always used windows7. Recently i decided to install Backtrack 5 R3 to my laptop as my desktop is running windows 7 i didn't see the point in having them both running the same os. So i first made a live usb then booted up my laptop entered the command startx and BAM black screen with flashing caps lock, i then searched the net and found tons of people were having the same problem. For 2 days i tried numerous ways to fix this i managed to get past it on the live usb so i installed BT5 to my HDD and again blackscreen after startx so i searched again and finally found how to sort this and make it permanent so i thought i would share it here, so here is a little tutorial below .

    1) boot from your live usb and when you come to the first screen where you have different boot options like Text,Forensic,Stealth and so on you want to hit TAB key on your keyboard. Now you should see some text below the boot options find where it says
    Code:
    text splash vga=791
    and replace with
    Code:
    quiet splash i915.modeset=1 vga=791
    then hit enter and log in to Backtrack.

    2) Now install Backtrack to your HDD as desired and wait for it to finish, now when it asks to reboot hit yes wait till screen goes black and remove your usb then hold SHIFT key on your keyboard (this must be done before Backtrack boots back up). You should now be in the grub menu now hit E on your keyboard and find whrere it says
    Code:
    text splash vga=791
    as we did before and change to
    Code:
    quiet splash i915.modeset=1 vga=791
    then hit CRTL+X on your keyboard. Now just login with ROOT and TOOR then startx you should now be on the GUI.

    3) To make this permanent you need to go applications then accessories then search for files. Next type grub in the name and files in the look in folders part. Scroll down to /ect/default right click and open with gedit then find the line that looks like this
    Code:
    GRUB_CMD_LINUX_DEFAULT="text splash vga=791"
    now replace with
    Code:
    GRUB_CMD_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.modeset=1 vga=791"
    then hit save and close window. Now open a terminal and type
    Code:
    update-grub
    then just reboot and you are done .

    Hope this helps some people out and saves them hours of agonizing searching on the net lol.
    Last edited by sickness; 02-14-2013 at 02:28 AM.

  2. #2
    Just burned their ISO
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: How to fix black screen after startx in Backtrack 5 R3 (permanent)

    Can a mod please amend the title to (How to fix black screen after startx in Backtrack 5 R3 (permanent) thanx.

  3. #3
    Moderator g0tmi1k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,771

    Default Re: How to fix black screen after startx in Backtrack 5 R3 (permanent)

    Done.
    Thanks for sharing =)
    Have you...g0tmi1k?

  4. #4
    Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Debian land
    Posts
    734

    Default Re: How to fix black screen after startx in Backtrack 5 R3 (permanent)

    Great contribution, I'm sure the people with intel graphics card will thank you...

    Just to add, all this can be done thru grub's cli mode and if it works, then RADZ states how to make it permanent..

  5. #5
    Just burned their ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: How to fix black screen after startx in Backtrack 5 R3 (permanent)

    Dear Sir,

    I would just like to thank you SO MUCH for this post. You are officially my greatest hero right now (Besides the Ninja Turtles)!
    You have no freakin idea how many days and hours I have wasted trying to get to this answer...
    Finally, I decided to come here and post a thread regarding this exact problem.
    Normally I'd ignore the previous posts and just go ahead and ask, but I didn't, and I found this lil' tid-bit.
    I just want you to know... that I LOVE YOU (platonic, of course)!

    Thanks again,
    -This Guy

  6. #6
    Just burned their ISO
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: How to fix black screen after startx in Backtrack 5 R3 (permanent)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunshine View Post
    Dear Sir,

    I would just like to thank you SO MUCH for this post. You are officially my greatest hero right now (Besides the Ninja Turtles)!
    You have no freakin idea how many days and hours I have wasted trying to get to this answer...
    Finally, I decided to come here and post a thread regarding this exact problem.
    Normally I'd ignore the previous posts and just go ahead and ask, but I didn't, and I found this lil' tid-bit.
    I just want you to know... that I LOVE YOU (platonic, of course)!

    Thanks again,
    -This Guy
    Great to know this helped you , i know how frustrating it is when you get this problemi t drove me mad for days lol.

  7. #7
    Just burned their ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: How to fix black screen after startx in Backtrack 5 R3 (permanent)

    Quote Originally Posted by RADZ1973 View Post
    Hi all im new to Backtrack and by no means an expert on linux as i have always used windows7. Recently i decided to install Backtrack 5 R3 to my laptop as my desktop is running windows 7 i didn't see the point in having them both running the same os. So i first made a live usb then booted up my laptop entered the command startx and BAM black screen with flashing caps lock, i then searched the net and found tons of people were having the same problem. For 2 days i tried numerous ways to fix this i managed to get past it on the live usb so i installed BT5 to my HDD and again blackscreen after startx so i searched again and finally found how to sort this and make it permanent so i thought i would share it here, so here is a little tutorial below .

    1) boot from your live usb and when you come to the first screen where you have different boot options like Text,Forensic,Stealth and so on you want to hit TAB key on your keyboard. Now you should see some text below the boot options find where it says
    Code:
    text splash vga=791
    and replace with
    Code:
    quiet splash i915.modeset=1 vga=791
    then hit enter and log in to Backtrack.



    2) Now install Backtrack to your HDD as desired and wait for it to finish, now when it asks to reboot hit yes wait till screen goes black and remove your usb then hold SHIFT key on your keyboard (this must be done before Backtrack boots back up). You should now be in the grub menu now hit E on your keyboard and find whrere it says
    Code:
    text splash vga=791
    as we did before and change to
    Code:
    quiet splash i915.modeset=1 vga=791
    then hit CRTL+X on your keyboard. Now just login with ROOT and TOOR then startx you should now be on the GUI.

    3) To make this permanent you need to go applications then accessories then search for files. Next type grub in the name and files in the look in folders part. Scroll down to /ect/default right click and open with gedit then find the line that looks like this
    Code:
    GRUB_CMD_LINUX_DEFAULT="text splash vga=791"
    now replace with
    Code:
    GRUB_CMD_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.modeset=1 vga=791"
    then hit save and close window. Now open a terminal and type
    Code:
    update-grub
    then just reboot and you are done .

    Hope this helps some people out and saves them hours of agonizing searching on the net lol.
    Question : I have same problem with blank screen after typing 'startx' on my backtrack 5 R3. Is that solution can be implemented for my laptop with specification architecture intel i686?

  8. #8
    Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Debian land
    Posts
    734

    Default Re: How to fix black screen after startx in Backtrack 5 R3 (permanent)

    Quote Originally Posted by samudra21 View Post
    Question : I have same problem with blank screen after typing 'startx' on my backtrack 5 R3. Is that solution can be implemented for my laptop with specification architecture intel i686?
    If you have intel graphics card, it depends. Not all intel graphics card will work as stated here. The Ivy bridge 3rd Gen will not work defenetly.

    The Intel Second gen, it depends on the architecture and might work, you want to try it..The rest will probably work. The older the card, the better the support.

    It all depends on the kernel version and the i915 driver version (included in the xserver-xorg-video-intel package).

    Need to try.

    Or try Kali..You have more chances succeed.

    Luck.

Similar Threads

  1. [FIX] Black screen after startx (BT 5 R2)
    By p0cTeam in forum BackTrack 5 Bugs
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 04:42 PM
  2. Black screen after startx
    By blenthoven in forum BackTrack 5 Bugs
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-28-2013, 08:01 AM
  3. Backtrack 5 R3 GNOME Black Screen after startx
    By Kodeki in forum BackTrack 5 Beginners Section
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 03:00 PM
  4. Black Screen after startx
    By L0rdHyd3 in forum BackTrack 5 Beginners Section
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 01:34 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 02:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •