Thread: Partitioning error during 5.3 instalation....now wont recognize hard drive

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default Partitioning error during 5.3 instalation....now wont recognize hard drive

Ok...So i have a msi U-100 I was running Ubuntu on with an encrypted hard disk. I made a live usb disk of BT 5.3 and booted it up and started the installation. When I got to the partition menu i selected use the entire hard drive for 5.3....there was an error during the partitioning process and now when i follow the steps to install over again no hard drive shows up to choose.......my live usb is /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 when i view my drives from terminal those are the only ones that appear......if i run ls /dev/sd* then I also get /dev/sdb to appear.....however i cannot mount or format this....i think this is my hard drive???? any help would be appreciated...i just want to be able to access my hard drive...wipe it clean...and do a total system install of bt3 so i dont have to keep running it from a usb..

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: Partitioning error during 5.3 instalation....now wont recognize hard drive

Please post the output of: fdisk -l and ls -la /de/disk/by-uuid

See if hard drive is found...if not, try to pull it out of computer and run it without HDD, then power off and reinstall HDD..See if it is detected by bios.

Luck.

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Partitioning error during 5.3 instalation....now wont recognize hard drive

Thank you for the response. I tried the commands and here is what I got.......

screenshot1.jpgScreenshot.jpg

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

I see. Well I can see an 4Gb usb live, correct me if I'm wrong, partitioned as FAT32 (LBA)..It has to be the USB.

I see a Linux Partition at sdc as 8gb partition, correct me if I'm wrong...The pics are very small, so when trying to amplify them, they lose definition.. For BT5 you might need a 20gb partition or more is recommended.

I see you have a Linux partition, but no FS, you might want to creat it. Now you have 2 ways: using fdisk (medium to advanced user) or gparted (beginners, medium and advanced, is a front-end, GUI interface).

Open up a terminal after booting BT5, and execute: gparted, if not in BT5 usb, then download it and burn it on CD and boot with it.

Once in gparted, delete the hdd partition, create 2 partitions:

partition 1: For BT5, as ext4 Filesystem (you can use the whole space minus 1gb for the swap partition). Not only 8gb.
    Partition 2: for swap, 1gb. In the filesystem menu on the left, it will show you a bunch of FS managed, select swap (just as you did in BT5 partition.

Now apply changes and exit..

Try to install again, see if you can.