Thread: Problems installing BT5

Just burned their ISO

Default Problems installing BT5

Hi!
    I premise that I'm not English, so probably there will be a lot of grammar mistakes (sorry for this!).
    I don't know exactly where this thread should be (because it could be in the "Not working hardware" section too, but I'm not sure), so if this isn't the right section, please move the discussion in the right one.

Anyway. I'm having some troubles installing BT5 on my Acer ASPIRE 5750G. I want to install it directly on the hard disk (now on it I only have Windows7). So:
    When i put the "live CD" in the pc and I restart it, it opens the menu where I can choose, for example, "Text mode". And up to here there aren't any problems. Then I press "Enter" and I wait that something happens, but every time it freezes loading BT.

So I can't run it because it doesn't arrive at the screen where I should type "startx".
    I know that BT has problems with some Broadcom network cards and I have one of them (so probably the problem is there): Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet.
    What should I do?

Thanks in advice!

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: Problems installing BT5

It seems to me like video issues...What type of video card do you have?...Are you able to go on any further using "recovery mode"?..

Just burned their ISO

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M and, about the second question, simply I don't know.

Just burned their ISO Parad0x001's Avatar

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-...k.46094.0.html

The Geforce GT 540M...
    Acer installs an i7-2630QM CPU in the Aspire 5750G...

Try using the recovery mode in the menu, I think is "Backtrack Debug - Safe mode"..Use that one and see if you get to the prompt..

If still the same, at the menu, in the first option, Text mode, press "Tab" key on your keyboard, at the end of the line, change resolution: vga=769 then press "esc" key and now try it in the text mode.

If even so, same problem, again, "Tab" key at the text Mode option again, add at the end of line: nomodeset, then "esc" key and try again the text mode.

Try it.
    Last edited by maverik35; 02-07-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Just burned their ISO

First of all, thanks for the answers, so:

Maybe information in that post are wrong: I have an Acer ASPIRE 5750G, but not with those "components".
    Anyway I uploaded an "Everest" report that you can find here.

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    Try using the recovery mode in the menu, I think is "Backtrack Debug - Safe mode"..Use that one and see if you get to the prompt..

If still the same, at the menu, in the first option, Text mode, press "Tab" key on your keyboard, at the end of the line, change resolution: vga=769 then press "esc" key and now try it in the text mode.

If even so, same problem, again, "Tab" key at the text Mode option again, add at the end of line: nomodeset, then "esc" key and try again the text mode.

Try it.
    Well, I tried all ot those solutions booting by USB (but I think it doesn't change so much):

- Using the "debug mode" it freezed at:
    Code:
    Attempting to load BIOS image from PRAMIN
    And the same thing happened changing the resolution to 769.

- When I tried to add the "nomodeset" option it freezed too, but this time at:
    Code:
    detected an NVd0 generation card
    Then there was some other text that ended with something like "Mac Address 1c:"
    However I hope that with these "new" information will be easier to find a solution!

at the menu, in the first option, Text mode, press "Tab" key on your keyboard, at the end of the line, change resolution: vga=769 then press "esc" key and now try it in the text mode.

Try it.
    Try again this way, but now leave vga as is when pressing [tab] key and do not use "nomeset", just at the end of line type: nouveau.blacklist=1, then press "esc" key and boot from option "text Mode"...

Just burned their ISO

Try again this way, but now leave vga as is when pressing [tab] key and do not use "nomeset", just at the end of line type: nouveau.blacklist=1, then press "esc" key and boot from option "text Mode"...
    Well, it worked! Thanks!
    Now I only have to change partition. Anyway, is there a method to change the resolution?

Yes, go to System > Preferences > Monitor and see if you can change it, I mean, if module loaded is able to support higher resolution..

Other way to find out the resolutions available for the current module is to open up a terminal and use xrandr command: xrandr

If you want much more resolution, then you have to install the propietary driver.

Luck.