Thread: Dual Processors?

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Question Dual Processors?

I can't seem to find this anywhere (which I guess in way means no) but can Backtrack utilize two cpus? as in a dual socket mobo?

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: Dual Processors?

Well, I do not know how BT5 was designed, but one thing is for sure, it was created to pentest, to audit and find security holes.

On the other hand, I know there are systems created to work as network server like the HP unix OS using HP T Series with up to 6 cpus.

There are app that uses the video cpu to compute, but it is an app, not the BT5 OS as such...

Honestly, my very personal way of seeing it, is defenetly for pentesting and does not handle 2 or more cpu's in parallel...

Luck..
    Last edited by maverik35; 02-06-2013 at 03:08 PM.

It works on a dual socket board. I've run BT5r2 on my dual Athlon MP machine (Tyan Tiger MP S2460 mobo, 2X 1.2GHz Athlon MP, 1GB RAM - since upgraded to 2GB), however just launching Metasploit brought it to it's knees. Most other tools on it worked just fine though.

A particular app would need to be specifically written to take advantage of SMP. For the most part, IIRC, the kernel will simply balance the application load between the processors in the same way it does on a single socket/multi-core processor.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    It works on a dual socket board. I've run BT5r2 on my dual Athlon MP machine (Tyan Tiger MP S2460 mobo, 2X 1.2GHz Athlon MP, 1GB RAM - since upgraded to 2GB), however just launching Metasploit brought it to it's knees. Most other tools on it worked just fine though.

A particular app would need to be specifically written to take advantage of SMP. For the most part, IIRC, the kernel will simply balance the application load between the processors in the same way it does on a single socket/multi-core processor.
    Yes, I agree, you can have even 4 sockets and 4 cpus it will only use one...and even more, use the cores inside, but not parallel processing...Need SMP.

But again, going back to the Original question as to Dual processors running BT5 as such, I do not think so, running all its cores inside?.Probably yes...

Please refer here: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Parallel-P...g-HOWTO-2.html

Luck...
    Last edited by maverik35; 02-07-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Just burned their ISO Parad0x001's Avatar

not only duel but 8 cores (i7) also .

Run 'Htop' in terminal->left numbers (1-No. cores) right shows load. at the end you'll see mem and etc.

hope helped

Quote Originally Posted by Parad0x001 View Post
    not only duel but 8 cores (i7) also .

Run 'Htop' in terminal->left numbers (1-No. cores) right shows load. at the end you'll see mem and etc.

hope helped
    Not cores, CPU's...One cpu can have dual core. He asks for 2 or more processors (Dual, single, etc cores)..