Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 64 bit version

Developer

I run gentoo 64 bit as my main OS however I still run backtrack in VM and then use it via ssh. I have never seen peoples point in trying to add backtrack or "all its tools" to another distro. Its kind of like reinventing the wheel.

fastboi

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Thanks for coming out, perhaps you could actually take the time to read the thread and provide some useful answer to the questions already asked.
    Yeah i can answer that in a very popular way that is used in 95% answers here. GOOOGGGLLEEE. Like why is there a need of this forum? Lets delete all the threads and just put a link to google and I read the thread, i just like that word combination "google it"

edit: i forgot the main thing. "Thanks for coming out", you are very welcome mister. Thanks for noticing me, and since you did that, i posted some threads in the newbie area, may you take a look at them? Just please no "google it" phrase. I am allergic to it I would post them at super noob area but you guys do not have that... YET. Oh and just in case, i like to be ahead few steps everytime, so if you guys going to mention that lammers corner or whatever its named, do not do it, I KNOW ABOUT IT and it wont make you a funny or cool guy

Quote Originally Posted by Talkie Toaster View Post
    Which programmes would actually benefit from 64-bit arcitecture/memory addressing?
    Simple explanation i think should do the thing... we have the TECHNOLOGY, why dont use it, or maybe just lets go back to caves?
    I also been using ubuntu alpha 6 x64 for little bit, and it simply works faster (as its should be that way). I am not complaining or anything, do not get me wrong, i love bt3. You guys know more than me, i am just a super noob, it probably would be more of a hastle than worth.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I run gentoo 64 bit as my main OS however I still run backtrack in VM and then use it via ssh. I have never seen peoples point in trying to add backtrack or "all its tools" to another distro. Its kind of like reinventing the wheel.
    Gentoo.... I've got the iso but i'm not brave enough yet!

I wasn't thinking of lots of tools, just maybe ones to do with work or hobby, i used to run kismet in PCLinuxOS so my flatmate could use the laptop at the same time, as she is far too menu-clicky to be trusted alone with BT3! Just so the laptop wasn't tied up not really being used for hours on end. Then if i wanted to play with the .cap's i'd just boot into BT and do the real work there....

@fastboi
    I think the main thing here is BackTrack is designed to run easily on a wide range of machines of varying capabilities, adding another version when there are still so many 32bit pcs around would just lead to EVEN more 'tard posts about "i cant get this working!", 32 bit works with almost everything and that easily outweighs smallish individual programme gains.

If 64 bit really is your thing start with a basic 64 distro (Gentoo?) and then build one up from scratch,you certainly will need google for that

(then tell me how you did it!)

TT
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

fastboi

yeah man i understand that, even with 32bit there is a lot of THIS DOESNT WORK and blah blah blah, so i feel support line's pain on that, and i am way to noobie for doing my own thing from scratch, so i guess i will stick with 32bit, even 2 bit as long as it works in most of the cases I probably sometimes sound like bitching but its not the case, i really enjoying back track and i really appreciate all of your work. Keep that good work guys.

Quote Originally Posted by fastboi View Post
    Yeah i can answer that in a very popular way that is used in 95% answers here. GOOOGGGLLEEE. Like why is there a need of this forum? Lets delete all the threads and just put a link to google and I read the thread, i just like that word combination "google it"
    So your answer is essentially: "I have no idea why it would be better or why I'm asking for it. I'm just asking because that's what others did and I heard or read something somewhere stating 64 is better than 32."

Why would I (or anyone else here) waste time google'ing something that has no practicality for me (or the majority here). The benefits of which (or lack thereof) have already been discussed and covered in this thread. I had hoped that you'd have some actual reasoning behind your request, now it seems obvious that you do not. Heaven help we should think that you might have a valid argument as opposed to just assuming 64 > 32 therefore it must be better (like everyone else earlier in this thread)
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

I thought I'd provide the following link as facts of interest for further discussion in this thread (since it compares Ubuntu x86 and Ubuntu x86_64 side-by-side):
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u_macosx&num=1

Yes there are small gains to be had ith x86_64 but in the vast majority of cases (as seen in these banchmarks) the gains are negligable.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

fastboi

gain is a gain, no matter what. just like i said... 64 is better. period. you used google and found damn answer google is your friend.

I think people are envisioning too much on 64bit.. Many of them have their heads stuck in the clouds. Have you ever considered there are some drivers/programs that can't take advantage of 64bit mode such as atheros ar5007eg which used to be incompatible with both 64bit and/or SMP mode? There are some old programs on bt which are still nice, but switching into 64bit when they are no longer supported will be nullified.

So in the end you get people with more headaches and asking more on the forums.

Stop and think about it you 64bit fanatics. Not everything will work in 64bit as you dream of it would.. even if it would, you didn't consider other people's circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by fastboi View Post
    gain is a gain, no matter what. just like i said... 64 is better. period. you used google and found damn answer google is your friend.
    No actually that link came across slashdot a few days ago.

I'm still waiting for your answer. I have yet to see any compelling reason for them to create a 64bit version.

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    I think people are envisioning too much on 64bit.. Many of them have their heads stuck in the clouds. Have you ever considered there are some drivers/programs that can't take advantage of 64bit mode
    Actually most tools in the distro don't.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast